• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage and SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taxquestion1

Hi, I got married this year, reported it to SSA. I receive S.S.D.I. my husband does not he works makes about 25,000.00 a year and I receive about 9,000.00 in benefits. I am trying to determine how to file taxes for 2009. However this is not a tax question per say. From everything I have researched on my own it appears that married filing jointly is the smartest way to file in our position. That is the tax angle. The angle I am unsure about is SSA and my disability. If we do in fact file jointly would this some how affect my benefits lowering my monthly amounts? I do not receive SSI but I fear that if we file jointly for SSDI purposes I may be considered his dependant? Or is it safe to file married filing jointly without worrying that your monthly benefit check will be reduced? Sadly I called the social security office and the person I talked to didn't seem to know themselves so checking to see if anyone knows here.
Thank you.

BL

Hi, I got married this year, reported it to SSA. I receive S.S.D.I. my husband does not he works makes about 25,000.00 a year and I receive about 9,000.00 in benefits. I am trying to determine how to file taxes for 2009. However this is not a tax question per say. From everything I have researched on my own it appears that married filing jointly is the smartest way to file in our position. That is the tax angle. The angle I am unsure about is SSA and my disability. If we do in fact file jointly would this some how affect my benefits lowering my monthly amounts? I do not receive SSI but I fear that if we file jointly for SSDI purposes I may be considered his dependant? Or is it safe to file married filing jointly without worrying that your monthly benefit check will be reduced? Sadly I called the social security office and the person I talked to didn't seem to know themselves so checking to see if anyone knows here.
Thank you.
I think LDIJ is knowable on taxes .Try a PM.

Onderzoek

Filing a joint tax return does nothing to the amount of your monthly SSDI benefit. The two things are not at all related. The amount of your SSDI benefit is based on your lifetime earnings from wages and self-employment. You can be anyone's dependent or not. Not even a question that is asked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">