• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mentally Disabled SSI problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kkat26

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I am from NJ. Our family moved to the US around 12 years ago and obtained our citizenship after several years. My sister is mentally disabled and although she received a high school diploma with special education, her mental capacity is that of a child's. She started receiving benefits only a couple of years ago after my parents applied for it. My mom handles all the expenses of the household and deals with all the finances. Without realizing their mistake, they included my disabled sister into their bank account and deposited the money she was receiving into their joint accounts since she can't handle her own money. On top of that, my mom had a life insurance account open for her but had to withdraw the money from it in order to pay for an impromptu trip (tickets cost roughly around $1500 each) to visit my sick grandmother and my uncle who was diagnosed with cancer.

With all of that combined, we received a letter stating that her benefits will be stopped and her medicaid is also withdrawn. My mother only found out what they have been doing wrong just recently after they told her and they are asking her to come back for an appeal. Is it beneficial to consult someone to help her deal with this? We are all completely clueless and we have no idea what to expect next. What other problems may come up if this is not resolved?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BL

I am from NJ. Our family moved to the US around 12 years ago and obtained our citizenship after several years. My sister is mentally disabled and although she received a high school diploma with special education, her mental capacity is that of a child's. She started receiving benefits only a couple of years ago after my parents applied for it. My mom handles all the expenses of the household and deals with all the finances. Without realizing their mistake, they included my disabled sister into their bank account and deposited the money she was receiving into their joint accounts since she can't handle her own money. On top of that, my mom had a life insurance account open for her but had to withdraw the money from it in order to pay for an impromptu trip (tickets cost roughly around $1500 each) to visit my sick grandmother and my uncle who was diagnosed with cancer.

With all of that combined, we received a letter stating that her benefits will be stopped and her medicaid is also withdrawn. My mother only found out what they have been doing wrong just recently after they told her and they are asking her to come back for an appeal. Is it beneficial to consult someone to help her deal with this? We are all completely clueless and we have no idea what to expect next. What other problems may come up if this is not resolved?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
SSA is not asking all of you to come in .

There are only two people involved in your family .

The payee ( your mom ) and the recipient .

The payee must go in and file an appeal / reconsideration.

Your mother must be prepared to show with proof that none of the recipients benifits were used for anyone other than the recpient and the recipient's needs , not your moms personal use .

If the child's burial fund was converted to cash ,that could be considered an asset that also affected the SSI requirements.

Mom can also ask for a waiver and a reconsideration.

If there is money in the account that would equal what the recipient received , your mother should open a seperate account ,like she was suppose to , and show the proof of new account to SSA also.

Fact is ,as payee your mother should have been supplied with her duties .

Last edited:

Onderzoek

If your mother does nothing, your sister's benefits will be stopped and your mother and sister will be billed for any overpayment. She may owe some money back. Below is a link to policy regarding joint bank accounts. Read it and assist your mother in taking action.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0501140205

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">