• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor Child moving to Adult SSI now that he is 18.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jman1973

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

Hello,

Our son turned 18 and graduated high school. He has been on SSI for about 12 or 13 years and he is going for an appointment with a doctor to review his condition.

My wife is his Representative Payee and is wondering what will be required of her in the way of paperwork if he is allowed to continue drawing it.

Does she still have to submit all of our income data, house owned/rented and cars owned each month or if it changes? Or does she just need to provide what it costs to live in the home each month and make sure his fair share is paid and report any changes in his living arrangements? He does not own any property such as a house or automobile.

For instance she has a spreadsheet that shows a 12 month average of house payment, electric, water, gas and food. She is also using a receipt book since he turned of age to track what he is paying which is 1/4 of the 5 items I mentioned earlier as his part of the expenses. She then uses the rest for his entertainment, clothing, etc. and is hoping that is enough documentation.

Thank you,

jman1973

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

Hello,

Our son turned 18 and graduated high school. He has been on SSI for about 12 or 13 years and he is going for an appointment with a doctor to review his condition.

My wife is his Representative Payee and is wondering what will be required of her in the way of paperwork if he is allowed to continue drawing it.

Does she still have to submit all of our income data, house owned/rented and cars owned each month or if it changes? Or does she just need to provide what it costs to live in the home each month and make sure his fair share is paid and report any changes in his living arrangements? He does not own any property such as a house or automobile.

For instance she has a spreadsheet that shows a 12 month average of house payment, electric, water, gas and food. She is also using a receipt book since he turned of age to track what he is paying which is 1/4 of the 5 items I mentioned earlier as his part of the expenses. She then uses the rest for his entertainment, clothing, etc. and is hoping that is enough documentation.

Thank you,

jman1973
i just came across the answer to this question this week.

once the child ages out to an adult, he will only require HIS incomes expenses as it pertains to his living and not his family expenses or income.

depending on the disability, mom may still need to be his payee. but yes, a tracking of his expenses is helpful. usually an account stating withdrawals is best, considering he should have his own account for direct deposit anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">