• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor is defined under 16 now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Beckycpb6

My husband died three years ago. I receive two checks from Social Security, one is for my son who at the time of his father's death was 12. The other check is for surviving spouse with a minor. I was informed in July that the money I received for my son as a surviving spouse with a minor would end this November because he is turning 16. I called Social Security and was told that benefit ended at 16 but the other check would continue until he turns 18 or until he finished high school. I was told initially I would receive both of these checks until he turns 18. The woman told me I was given the wrong information three years ago.
My question is this;
Is this correct and if so, is there any other way to receive an increase on the amount of the other check if there is now only one check being issued? Is there any way to contest this?
It doesn't seam right. My husband put quite a lot of money for many years into this, (and was never given an option not to) in the event it was needed by his family. Now I am being told I can no longer receive that money to help care for my family. It was my understanding a 'minor' was under the age of 18. This makes no sense.
The amount of each monthly check is $1798. The loss is a huge hit. This is my only income right now. I use this money to pay the bills. I don't plan on being in this situation for ever, I'm trying to get a job.
I would appreciate any help with this. Thank you!

Kit Cat

• Your widow or widower can get benefits at any age
if they take care of your child younger than age 16 or
disabled, who’s receiving Social Security benefits.
• Your unmarried children, younger than age 18 (or up
to age 19 if they’re attending elementary or secondary
school full time), can also get benefits. Your children can
get benefits at any age if they were disabled before age 22
and remain disabled. Under certain circumstances, we
can also pay benefits to your stepchildren, grandchildren,
stepgrandchildren, or adopted children.

Sorry to say, but it looks like this is correct, unless your child is disabled.

Once you reach retirement age, you can collect survivor's benefits again, earlier if you are disabled.

It is very common for people to be told the wrong information by social security.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">