• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom was on SSDI/SSI. Eligible for $255 death benefit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

My Mom was on SSDI and SSI when she died. Her two sons are my brother, 54, and me, 44. Neither of us lived with her or were dependents. She also had no husband at the time.

She had a burial plan for $8,000 which was paid off, but now my brother and I are being hit with a bill for things "not covered", such as the burial vault (!)

I've heard social security has a burial payment of $255, which would help. Is that something my brother or I could get and use to help pay these unforeseen funeral costs? I looked it up and it talks about surviving spouse and dependent children. But if it's to go towards a person's funeral expenses, then would it also be able to go to the surviving offspring who are now responsible for paying for her funeral costs?

Here's the link I was looking at: http://www.benefits.gov/benefits/benefit-details/4392

Onderzoek

not payable to adult children unless they were entitled on the parent record themselves because they were disabled as a child. No $255 will be paid.

not payable to adult children unless they were entitled on the parent record themselves because they were disabled as a child. No $255 will be paid.
What if the child was on SSI since age 16, but is now an adult and still on SSDI disability? That is the case with me, although I wasn't living with her.

justalayman

YOU still are not liable for the funeral expenses. If your brother signed a contract with the funeral home, he has probably bound himself so as to be liable for any additional expenses but unless you accepted liability, you are not liable.

LdiJ

Since I'm the the Executor of the estate, I don't think I'm eligible to do that. I'm trying to help my brother out by asking about this.
If you are the executor of the estate, then you are the perfect person to file to attempt to get the 255.00 death benefit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">