• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving disabled parent in with me/Rent + care?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joankb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

I was wondering if you would have the resources to help me out if I move my mother in with me. I'm in the process of buying a house so that I can move my mother in with me. I cannot afford for her to lose her any bnefits since I myself only make ~20,000/yr. So taking care of ME takes all of my resources. I cannot afford to feed her or pay the increase in heat and electric having her with me will cost, but I know she needs more care than the aide (2hrs/day/wk) and I (2hrs/day/7days a week) can provide.

I'm thinking of charging her rent+ care since I'll be doing her shopping, showering, meal preparation and feeding her meals, laundry, cleaning, toileting, etc. Pretty much what would be entailed in nursing home care.....only I'll be gone the 8 hours/day 6days a week to work. let me know if there is any advice you could give me. I've spent a few hours surfing for answers, but have really found none that are specific to our situation.

Thank you for ANY advice you could provide

Joan

Onderzoek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

I was wondering if you would have the resources to help me out if I move my mother in with me. I'm in the process of buying a house so that I can move my mother in with me. I cannot afford for her to lose her any bnefits since I myself only make ~20,000/yr. So taking care of ME takes all of my resources. I cannot afford to feed her or pay the increase in heat and electric having her with me will cost, but I know she needs more care than the aide (2hrs/day/wk) and I (2hrs/day/7days a week) can provide.

I'm thinking of charging her rent+ care since I'll be doing her shopping, showering, meal preparation and feeding her meals, laundry, cleaning, toileting, etc. Pretty much what would be entailed in nursing home care.....only I'll be gone the 8 hours/day 6days a week to work. let me know if there is any advice you could give me. I've spent a few hours surfing for answers, but have really found none that are specific to our situation.

Thank you for ANY advice you could provide

Joan
It would be helpful if you asked a specific question.

joankb

clarification

Mom is On SSI. and receives food stamps. She gets rental assistance where she currently lives through HUD. My question, should I write up a rental agreement or lease agreement specifying amounts? should I specify in an agreement her care plan? Should I consult an attorney to help me draft paperwork so that my mother doesn't lose any of her aid?

tranquility

Mom is On SSI. and receives food stamps. She gets rental assistance where she currently lives through HUD. My question, should I write up a rental agreement or lease agreement specifying amounts? should I specify in an agreement her care plan? Should I consult an attorney to help me draft paperwork so that my mother doesn't lose any of her aid?
I don't think you can get section 8 assistance for "renting" to your mother absent special conditions.

Onderzoek

I don't think you can get section 8 assistance for "renting" to your mother absent special conditions.
I doubt it too. You wouldn't really be a true landlord and you would have to claim rental income on your own income taxes.

She can give you her entire SSI check if she wants as her contribution to household expenses. SSA will take the amount of the mortgage/rent, gas, electricity, water, sewer, garbage, food and then determine if she is paying her pro-rata share (2 people in the house means she has to pay 1/2, 4 people means she has to pay 1/4). That would show that she is living independently. Otherwise, SSI will go down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">