• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My ex husband has kept daughter's retroactive payment.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rdj308

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My ex-husband apparently applied for Social Security disability benefits in 2011. He was approved and started to collect benefits in 2013, including dependent benefits for our 17 year old daughter. In 2013, he informed me that he would be giving me $1000 per month for our daughter's benefit.
Our daughter lives 100% of the time with me, and I pay all of her expenses. My ex husband set up his monthly payments so that he receives the dependent benefit and then writes me a check. I have never seen any paperwork from Social Security about this, and I have no idea if that is the entire dependent benefit or if he is keeping some for himself.
My bigger issue is that he slipped and told me that he received a large retroactive payment, part of which was retroactive dependent benefit. He has not given me any of the retroactive benefit for my daughter, and most likely he used it to purchase the house he lives in now that my daughter does not live in or even visit.
Can I go to the Social Security Administration and find out what the retroactive amount was that my daughter should have received? Will they do anything about it? Or will I need to hire an attorney to sue him for it?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My ex-husband apparently applied for Social Security disability benefits in 2011. He was approved and started to collect benefits in 2013, including dependent benefits for our 17 year old daughter. In 2013, he informed me that he would be giving me $1000 per month for our daughter's benefit.
Our daughter lives 100% of the time with me, and I pay all of her expenses. My ex husband set up his monthly payments so that he receives the dependent benefit and then writes me a check. I have never seen any paperwork from Social Security about this, and I have no idea if that is the entire dependent benefit or if he is keeping some for himself.
My bigger issue is that he slipped and told me that he received a large retroactive payment, part of which was retroactive dependent benefit. He has not given me any of the retroactive benefit for my daughter, and most likely he used it to purchase the house he lives in now that my daughter does not live in or even visit.
Can I go to the Social Security Administration and find out what the retroactive amount was that my daughter should have received? Will they do anything about it? Or will I need to hire an attorney to sue him for it?
Visit your local SSA office ,taking proof your daughter resides with you ,how long she's resided with you ( school registration form copies may help ) proof of birth ,etc. and request the depenant benifits come to you . Ask about the retroactive benifits you should have been due.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">