• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Mothers SSI Payment Affected By ME Paying The Mortgage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randomness

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hello, and thank you for reading. I'd like a little advice on a living situation that is affecting my mother's SSI payment. I will try to keep the story short, but please reply if you need any additional details.

My mother inherited a condo free and clear of any mortgages. She moved into the condo (this was years before applying for SSI). A couple of years later she put me on the title, and I took out a mortgage to fix up the condo. (again, well before applying for SSI). So the details are that we are both on the title, but I am the only one on the mortgage. She also was the owner before me, and quit claimed me onto the deed. Several years later I got married and moved out. She is the only one living there, but I still pay the mortgage myself.

Years later we apply for SSI for her. She was approved, and is currently receiving benefits. However, her benefit is greatly reduced because of her living situation. According to the summary we received, it is being reduced by somewhere around $250 a month. As it was explained to me, it is because I pay the mortgage she is getting free room and board, which they count against the $600 something total she could be receiving each month.

Can anyone explain this better to me? Is there a way to get her that extra amount?

Thank you in advance!

Ozark_Sophist

The $250 is rent. If she still owned the condo, a lien would attach for Medicaid. SSI is needs based and all income and assets count toward eligibility. Even if you still lived inter he condo, she would still be required to pay rent or have it deducted from her check.

BL

Hello, and thank you for reading. I'd like a little advice on a living situation that is affecting my mother's SSI payment. I will try to keep the story short, but please reply if you need any additional details.

My mother inherited a condo free and clear of any mortgages. She moved into the condo (this was years before applying for SSI). A couple of years later she put me on the title, and I took out a mortgage to fix up the condo. (again, well before applying for SSI). So the details are that we are both on the title, but I am the only one on the mortgage. She also was the owner before me, and quit claimed me onto the deed. Several years later I got married and moved out. She is the only one living there, but I still pay the mortgage myself.

Years later we apply for SSI for her. She was approved, and is currently receiving benefits. However, her benefit is greatly reduced because of her living situation. According to the summary we received, it is being reduced by somewhere around $250 a month. As it was explained to me, it is because I pay the mortgage she is getting free room and board, which they count against the $600 something total she could be receiving each month.

Can anyone explain this better to me? Is there a way to get her that extra amount?

Thank you in advance!
I'm a bit confuesed.You say you are both on the title , but the property was quit claimed deeded to you.

In order for her to be able to get full benifits ,she can own the home she lives in.

Otherwise any outside help would be counted against her.

If she is not on the deed or title any longer and you own the property ,you could draw up a rental agreement and see where it flies with SSA.

randomness

I'm a bit confuesed.You say you are both on the title , but the property was quit claimed deeded to you.

In order for her to be able to get full benifits ,she can own the home she lives in.

Otherwise any outside help would be counted against her.

If she is not on the deed or title any longer and you own the property ,you could draw up a rental agreement and see where it flies with SSA.

I wasn't sure if that was going to be a little confusing. I might have used quitclaim wrong, as I was juts added to the title, she was not removed.

This is the current ownership structure.
-My mother, who collects SSI, IS on the title of the condo
-I, her son, am ALSO on the title on the condo.
-The mortgage on the condo is in my name only, and I pay it.

Does SSI automatically deduct what would be the equivalent of rent from an SSI check if someone ones their own house free and clear?

BL

I wasn't sure if that was going to be a little confusing. I might have used quitclaim wrong, as I was juts added to the title, she was not removed.

This is the current ownership structure.
-The mortgage on the condo is in my name only, and I pay it.

Does SSI automatically deduct what would be the equivalent of rent from an SSI check if someone ones their own house free and clear?
What is a "resource" in the SSI program?
Answer
Resources are the things you own such as cash, real estate, personal belongings, bank accounts, stocks and bonds that you can use for your support.
To be eligible for SSI a person must have $2,000 or less in countable resources. A married couple must have $3,000 or less in countable resources. If you own resources over the SSI limit, you may be able to get SSI benefits while trying to sell the resources.
Not all of your resources count toward the SSI resource limit. For example:
the home you live in and the land it's on do not count.
your personal effects and household goods do not count.
life insurance policies may not count, depending on their value.
your car usually does not count.
burial plots for you and members of your immediate family do not count.
up to $1,500 in burial funds for you and up to $1,500 in burial funds for your spouse may not count.
if you are blind or have a disability, some items may not count if you plan to use them to work or earn extra income.
You may also wish to read our material on "resources" in the booklet, "Understanding SSI" and in the SSI Spotlight on this subject.

How does disposal of resources affect SSI eligibility? Answer
To be eligible for SSI a person must have $2,000 or less in countable resources. If the person alleges a transfer of resources, we must determine whether the resource transfer was valid. If the transfer was not valid, we may still count the resource toward the $2,000 limit. If the transfer was valid, the resource would no longer count toward the $2,000 limit.
Transfers of resources may occur through any of the following types of transactions:
Sale of property;
Trade or exchange, one property for another;
Giving away cash, property or bank accounts, etc.
Since 12/14/99, giving away a resource or transferring it for less than it is worth can make a person ineligible for SSI for up to 36 months. The number of months of ineligibility depends on the value of the resource that was transferred or given away and the compensation, if any, that the individual received for that resource. For more information, please read our material on "transfers of resources" in the SSI Spotlight on this subject at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/notices/supplemental-security-income/spotlights/spot-transfer-resources.htm or in the booklet "Understanding SSI.

randomness

What is a "resource" in the SSI program?
Answer
Resources are the things you own such as cash, real estate, personal belongings, bank accounts, stocks and bonds that you can use for your support.
To be eligible for SSI a person must have $2,000 or less in countable resources. A married couple must have $3,000 or less in countable resources. If you own resources over the SSI limit, you may be able to get SSI benefits while trying to sell the resources.
Not all of your resources count toward the SSI resource limit. For example:
the home you live in and the land it's on do not count.
your personal effects and household goods do not count.
life insurance policies may not count, depending on their value.
your car usually does not count.
burial plots for you and members of your immediate family do not count.
up to $1,500 in burial funds for you and up to $1,500 in burial funds for your spouse may not count.
if you are blind or have a disability, some items may not count if you plan to use them to work or earn extra income.
You may also wish to read our material on "resources" in the booklet, "Understanding SSI" and in the SSI Spotlight on this subject.

How does disposal of resources affect SSI eligibility? Answer
To be eligible for SSI a person must have $2,000 or less in countable resources. If the person alleges a transfer of resources, we must determine whether the resource transfer was valid. If the transfer was not valid, we may still count the resource toward the $2,000 limit. If the transfer was valid, the resource would no longer count toward the $2,000 limit.
Transfers of resources may occur through any of the following types of transactions:
Sale of property;
Trade or exchange, one property for another;
Giving away cash, property or bank accounts, etc.
Since 12/14/99, giving away a resource or transferring it for less than it is worth can make a person ineligible for SSI for up to 36 months. The number of months of ineligibility depends on the value of the resource that was transferred or given away and the compensation, if any, that the individual received for that resource. For more information, please read our material on "transfers of resources" in the SSI Spotlight on this subject at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/notices/supplemental-security-income/spotlights/spot-transfer-resources.htm or in the booklet "Understanding SSI.
Is there something in that information that I'm missing?

Technically, she still owns the property, but it is being counted against her?

And it wasn't a full transfer out of her possession, she still owns it, I was just added to the title. That was also over 6 years ago.

BL

Is there something in that information that I'm missing?

Technically, she still owns the property, but it is being counted against her?

And it wasn't a full transfer out of her possession, she still owns it, I was just added to the title. That was also over 6 years ago.
Perhaps the trouble lies here:

SSA is most likey calculating / figured since your name is on the title and you pay mortgage there is a deduction.

What proof did you give SSA that you are not living in the home ?

Did you ask to see the regulation for the deduction ?

Onderzoek

Thank you in advance!
Here is the entire chapter and the specific section on how SSI counts in-kind support and maintenance and third party vendor payments (you paying the mortgage). If a person gets help from others in paying their food or shelter bills, they do not need as much money from the government to be able to provide food and shelter.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500835000

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500835350

Solutions:
1. She can pay the mortgage herself and you pay her non food and shelter bills (cable TV, telephone, clothes, transportation costs) but she may not be able to afford it
2. You take out a mortgage on your own house, pay off her mortgage with the proceeds and then make payments on your mortgage. After that, there will be no in-kind income to her.
3. Move in with her and the two of you split the mortgage 50/50

All I can think of. No idea of any are feasible to you.

Onderzoek

This is an income issue, not a resource issue. If she were a renter and you paid her rent there would be in-kind income. Just so happens that she is a homeowner and you pay her mortgage. Doesn't matter that you are a co-owner. She gets the benefit of free shelter because you pay the mortgage.

And no, if there is no mortgage, there is no in-kind income charged. The value of in-kind income is the lower of the actual value or the presumed maximum value which is 1/3 of the federal benefit rate.

No one except policy wonks think it is either a good idea or workable.

Here is a link to an evaluation of the policy.

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v68n4/v68n4p15.html

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">