• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice (SSA SSI Notice)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jek1862

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I just received an SSI notice from the Social Security Administration I need some advice on. I will highlight the important parts. It said:
"This is a very important letter about keeping your SSI. We need more information to decide if we can continue to pay you SSI. We need to see all of the items listed below from August 1, 2009 to the present. We received information from computer matching with the IRS. Since this information may affect your SSI eligibility or payment amount, we would like to discuss it with you. The information we received was from: 'pension records from-private pensions for Motorists Life Insurance Company'. The match indicates you received a payment of $3,000 in 2009. We need to know what this was for and when you received it".
If we do not hear from you we may stop your SSI, or contact us within 30 days to tell us why. If we stop your SSI, you could also lose any Medicaid you have now.
MY COMMENTS: This is true. I did receive , in 2009, $3,000 in life insurance proceeds from the company stated. No other money was received at any other time since. Why they are only contacting me about this now,2 years later, I do not know. I did not report it because I did not think non-taxable life insurance proceeds would be counted as earned income relating to SSI by the Social Security Administration. This money was used for paying a personal debt to someone. Neither I nor the other person have any paperwork still regarding this transaction. Am I in trouble here? What do you advise I do? I receive the state's maximum SSI payment of $103 a month in addition to my regular SSD payment of $678 as I am disabled, many years now. Should I see a lawyer? What would SSA accept as permissible use of this money and view how I did use it? How would they currently view it and the future? I obviously do not wish to lose my SSI payment, nor my Medicaid. (I also have Medicare)
Thank you for any and all responses to this question.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I just received an SSI notice from the Social Security Administration I need some advice on. I will highlight the important parts. It said:
"This is a very important letter about keeping your SSI. We need more information to decide if we can continue to pay you SSI. We need to see all of the items listed below from August 1, 2009 to the present. We received information from computer matching with the IRS. Since this information may affect your SSI eligibility or payment amount, we would like to discuss it with you. The information we received was from: 'pension records from-private pensions for Motorists Life Insurance Company'. The match indicates you received a payment of $3,000 in 2009. We need to know what this was for and when you received it".
If we do not hear from you we may stop your SSI, or contact us within 30 days to tell us why. If we stop your SSI, you could also lose any Medicaid you have now.
MY COMMENTS: This is true. I did receive , in 2009, $3,000 in life insurance proceeds from the company stated. No other money was received at any other time since. Why they are only contacting me about this now,2 years later, I do not know. I did not report it because I did not think non-taxable life insurance proceeds would be counted as earned income relating to SSI by the Social Security Administration. This money was used for paying a personal debt to someone. Neither I nor the other person have any paperwork still regarding this transaction. Am I in trouble here? What do you advise I do? I receive the state's maximum SSI payment of $103 a month in addition to my regular SSD payment of $678 as I am disabled, many years now. Should I see a lawyer? What would SSA accept as permissible use of this money and view how I did use it? How would they currently view it and the future? I obviously do not wish to lose my SSI payment, nor my Medicaid. (I also have Medicare)
Thank you for any and all responses to this question.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
We need to know what this was for and when you received it".
I'd suggest getting documentation from the source and take it to SSA Office near you along with the letter . If need be, you can always fill out and request a waiver . For 3 grand it most likely will be granted , just say it would be a hardship on you to repay it .

OHRoadwarrior

You are responsible for knowing and complying with the regulations. It's not like you are so busy working, you can't look up the information. You need to supply them with confirmation of what it was and proof of how and when it was spent.

commentator

I don't think there's any way you (or some attorney you hired) are going to go in there and baffle them with some brilliant argument as to why you shouldn't have reported this money. Fact is, you did get it, you didn't report it, and they found out about it through their cross matches. So even if you don't have a shred of paperwork, they know you got it, they know how much you got, and they're going to deal with it as if you did get it, no matter what you say.If they make the decision not to count it, that would be nice, but you should have reported it and let them make the decision.

That you spend it to repay a debt, buy drugs, paint your house, so what? They don't care why you got it and didn't report it, there's no way you can go back and come up with something they'd consider an "acceptable use of this money."

As someone else said, I suggest that you request some type of waiver based on your financial circumstances at the present instead of trying to argue about receiving the money or why you didn't report it. If they do decide to give you a waiver on it, you'll be all right. If not, you'll be penalized for some period of time before you can get reinstated into SSI. But either way, you are already caught for this. There are hundreds of ways all government systems cross match, income correlations that are done for years after the fact. When you sign up for any income based program social services program, you give them the right to look at all your personal information. For some strange reason, the sytem does not expect people to tell them the truth and be totally honest about their income. They do not just take the claimant's word for things.Imagine that!

Work with the system now and don't try to lie or be devious with them. You are certainly not the only person on SSI something like this has come up with.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">