• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Some Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fatalmayu

My name is Sarah and live in upstate NY, I have been asked to move into my boyfriends place. I do have social security disability and get another check from my mother because she has cancer and am living with her. So I get SSI and SSD but figured once I move in with him i'll lose the other check. My boyfriend lives with his two sons. One is school age the other is 18. Both the older son and my boyfriend are working with DSS trying to find a job. I know I wont effect food stamps since I am not related to him or his boys.

my question is the disability I get will that be lowered?

Onderzoek

My name is Sarah and live in upstate NY, I have been asked to move into my boyfriends place. I do have social security disability and get another check from my mother because she has cancer and am living with her. So I get SSI and SSD but figured once I move in with him i'll lose the other check. My boyfriend lives with his two sons. One is school age the other is 18. Both the older son and my boyfriend are working with DSS trying to find a job. I know I wont effect food stamps since I am not related to him or his boys.

SSI, Supplemental Security Income, may change if your living arrangements change or if you get married or live with a man and you hold out as married.

Your CDB benefits on your mother's SSDI will stop if you get married but will not stop if you move out of your mother's house.

Best to contact SSA who can look at your record and can answer specific questions about you.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Being related has diddly to do with whether the state will consider you part of the household when determining eligibility for food stamps. :cool:

Food Stamp Household: The eligible group for food stamp purposes is the food stamp household, which is based solely on food units (a food unit is the number of individuals residing together and customarily purchasing food and preparing a majority of their meals together to eat at home).

All members of a given food unit must apply; one member cannot apply without the other members applying if the members state they eat together or if regulations require them to be in the same food unit.

MANDATED HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS

• Spouses who live together must be in the same FS household.
  • Children under 22 living with their parent(s) must be in the same FS household with the parent(s).
  • Minors less than 18 living with an adult who provides parental control must be in the same FS household as that adult. ("Parental Control" only applies in situations where the adult is not the parent or stepparent of the minor he/she is living with.)
  • Foster children can be in the household or not, depending on which choice yields the greater FS benefit for the household.
  • Foster children cannot receive FS separately from the adult(s) they live with.

BOARDERS

People who pay others a fair market value for their prepared meals are generally not eligible for FS. To be considered boarders (and not part of the rest of the household):
  • People who purchase 3 meals/day must pay an amount equal to at least the maximum monthly FS benefit.
  • People who purchase 1 or 2 meals/day must pay an amount equal to at least two-thirds of the maximum monthly FS benefit.

People who receive Meals on Wheels can get FS.
Residents of senior housing who purchase group meals in the dining hall can get FS.
Residents of institutions (e.g., prisons, hospitals, nursing homes, other health care facilities, college dormitories with meal plans) are not eligible.
Residents of certified group homes, congregate care residences and drug/alcohol treatment facilities can get FS.
http://www.albanycounty.com/departments/dss/programs_services.asp?id=408

BL

Just to note , SSI recipients are entitled to their own food stamp benefits as individuals. ( at least in NY ) where just living in the same house.

Of couse you'd have to buy and prepare meals separately.

Also as was mentioned ,if living together and they go about in a way or acting as if married ,SSA will calculate household income as married making one adult head of household.

You may have to declare in an affidavit , you do not go about married.

Even if SSI recipients just live in the same house , SSA will deduct a small amount per month from SSI benefits .

Not sure with SSDI & SSI together.

With the minimum benefit amount you could expect about a $30.00 deduction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">