• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some social security advice please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adore

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello,

Our yearly marital income is $22,000.00, and we live on my husband's social security monthly check. no other income is received.

My husband receives his social security and is 78 years old. i will be 62 years old soon, and currently am asthmatic with no health insurance.

Question: i was thinking of filing for my ss at 62 years old as i have met the criteria, and need the funds to get a medical health insurance policy for myself.

My real concern is if i file at 62 I know I will be getting my reduced ss benefit, but since my husband is 16 years older than me I worry if God should call him home
if I then claim widow's ss survivor benefits, will I receive his full ss check amount at the time of his death, and I know when I claim ss widow's survivor benefits my ss
check will then cease, and my widows ss survivor benefits will begin.

Please kindly reply advise as I am a bit confused about ss entitlement benefits in general, and thanks in advance.

adore

I really hope someone can reply to this who knows the answer.....7/2/2013.. Thank you

I hope this can be replied to and not over looked**************Please if someone knows the answer and I hope someone does, kindly reply, and thanks n advance.

Hello,

Our yearly marital income is $22,000.00, and we live on my husband's social security monthly check. no other income is received.

My husband receives his social security and is 78 years old. i will be 62 years old soon, and currently am asthmatic with no health insurance.

Question: i was thinking of filing for my ss at 62 years old as i have met the criteria, and need the funds to get a medical health insurance policy for myself.

My real concern is if i file at 62 I know I will be getting my reduced ss benefit, but since my husband is 16 years older than me I worry if God should call him home
if I then claim widow's ss survivor benefits, will I receive his full ss check amount at the time of his death, and I know when I claim ss widow's survivor benefits my ss

Please kindly reply advise as I am a bit confused about ss entitlement benefits in general, and thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Onderzoek

Hello,

Please kindly reply advise as I am a bit confused about ss entitlement benefits in general, and thanks in advance.

Any time you file for a reduced benefit (when you are not yet full retirement age which currently is 66) then your benefits are reduced actuarially for the number of early months you apply. This applies to spouses and widow's benefits. Also, if you file for your own spouse benefit before age 66 then your widow's benefit will have a reduction as well, no matter what age you qualify. Now if you wait until full retirement age to file a claim, then you have more choices.

OHRoadwarrior

Here is a hypothetical situation you want to explore;

Linda files for her SS benefit of $2,300 per month at age 66 (based on her own earnings record), but hubby Terry wants to wait until 70 to file. At age 66 (his full retirement age) Terry applies for spousal benefits on Linda's earnings record (Linda has already filed for benefits) and receives 50% of Linda's benefit amount ($1,150 per month). He then delays applying for benefits on his own earnings record ($2,100 per month at full retirement age) so he can earn delayed retirement credits. At age 70, Terry switches from collecting a spousal benefit to his own larger worker's retirement benefit of $2,772 per month (32% higher than at age 66). This not only increases Linda and Terry's household income but also enables Linda to receive a larger survivor's benefit in the event of Terry's death.

adore

Many thnaks for the information

Here is a hypothetical situation you want to explore;

Linda files for her SS benefit of $2,300 per month at age 66 (based on her own earnings record), but hubby Terry wants to wait until 70 to file. At age 66 (his full retirement age) Terry applies for spousal benefits on Linda's earnings record (Linda has already filed for benefits) and receives 50% of Linda's benefit amount ($1,150 per month). He then delays applying for benefits on his own earnings record ($2,100 per month at full retirement age) so he can earn delayed retirement credits. At age 70, Terry switches from collecting a spousal benefit to his own larger worker's retirement benefit of $2,772 per month (32% higher than at age 66). This not only increases Linda and Terry's household income but also enables Linda to receive a larger survivor's benefit in the event of Terry's death.
Thank you so very much for the additional ss information.

Now it is easier to understand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">