• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need SS advise ASAP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BellaDog

New York/KY

I have been collecting SSI benefits and my estranged husband was collecting SSD. He has recently passed away. We were still legally married at the time of his passing, but we live in seperate states for 10 years. Am I eligible for survivor benefits or any of his SSD?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Dude, if that's an indication of your willingness to help and what you consider a good enough answer, I am not impressed.

:rolleyes:
In this case, I think the OP would be wise to get the answer straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. She should contact the folks at the Social Security Administration and discuss her specific situation with them.

Silverplum

In this case, I think the OP would be wise to get the answer straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. She should contact the folks at the Social Security Administration and discuss her specific situation with them.
And that's a better answer. So was the link to ssa.gov.

LdiJ

New York/KY

I have been collecting SSI benefits and my estranged husband was collecting SSD. He has recently passed away. We were still legally married at the time of his passing, but we live in seperate states for 10 years. Am I eligible for survivor benefits or any of his SSD?
As long as you were legally married for at least 10 years, you can collect social security benefits based on his earnings record if his record produces a better result than yours.

Onderzoek

A critical piece of information is missing. What is your age? Can't answer your questions without it.

My suggestion is to call 1-800-772-1213 with his SSN and yours and make an appointment to file a claim. then you get an official answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">