• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New marriage and laws for SSI & SSA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

godiva869

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? N.C. I am a widow receiving SSI disability benifits. My fiance is receiving SSA disability benifits also. He is paying back moneys from work they caught him making in addition to his disability. which reduces his income to aprx. $900 a month. mine is only $600 aprox. We live separately right now but plan on marrying soon. My home is paid for so we'll have no mortgage payments or rent. What are the laws concerning this situation in NC? What will happen to my SSi income? What will happen to his? Will they be reduced? Taken away? This is our only incomes and we depend on them solely to live and pay bills. Any information you have on this subject will be greatly appreicated bc we no nothing about it yet. /we surely can't live on any less money than we get now. so am desperate to find out what will happen to our incomes when we marry. sincerely, godiva869

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? N.C. I am a widow receiving SSI disability benifits. My fiance is receiving SSA disability benifits also. He is paying back moneys from work they caught him making in addition to his disability. which reduces his income to aprx. $900 a month. mine is only $600 aprox. We live separately right now but plan on marrying soon. My home is paid for so we'll have no mortgage payments or rent. What are the laws concerning this situation in NC? What will happen to my SSi income? What will happen to his? Will they be reduced? Taken away? This is our only incomes and we depend on them solely to live and pay bills. Any information you have on this subject will be greatly appreicated bc we no nothing about it yet. /we surely can't live on any less money than we get now. so am desperate to find out what will happen to our incomes when we marry. sincerely, godiva869
If you marry , his SSA will possibly increase some ( but since he's paying back it might not until it is ) .

Is your benefit survivors benefits , or Supplemental Security disability ( SSI ) ?

If supplemental your benefits would decrease quit a bit .

Onderzoek

If he marries, there should be no change in the amount of his Social Security. If you are over age 62, you may be potentially eligible for spouse's benefits after 12 months of marriage. However, you would no longer be potentially eligible for survivor benefits on your late husband. If you are over 50, have you already applied for possible disabled widow's benefits? You may or may not be eligible.

If you, an SSI recipient, marries a man with $900 gross income and live with him, your SSI will be decreased, probably by several hundred dollars.

If you, an SSI recipient, lives with a man who is not your spouse and with whom you are not holding out as being married to and with whom you are not sharing bank accounts and he is not claiming you as a dependent and with whom you do not own stuff together and don't mingle your money, and who is paying no more than 1/2 of the household food and shelter expenses, there would be no effect on your SSI benefits.

The two of you should go to your local office, talk to a claims representative who can run some numbers and give you a more specific answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">