• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A new SSDI question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksdwa32

kansas
adult A and B have a child C....A has parental rights severed and at some point ends up on ssdi will the child still get ssdi

BL

kansas
adult A and B have a child C....A has parental rights severed and at some point ends up on ssdi will the child still get ssdi
I would say since he is the biological father ,yes.

At any rate it would not hurt to apply.

Your child can get benefits if he or she is your biological child, adopted child or dependent stepchild. (In some cases, your child also could be eligible for benefits on his or her grandparents’ earnings.)

To get benefits, a child must have:

•A parent(s) who is disabled or retired and entitled to Social Security benefits; or
•A parent who died after having worked long enough in a job where he or she paid Social Security taxes.
The child also must be:

•Unmarried;
•Younger than age 18;
•18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12); or
•18 or older and disabled. (The disability must have started before age 22.)

ksdwa32

kansas

Now if that same adult A was on LTD and ssdi and the child got the say back pay from ssdi would that parent owe money back to the ltd due to the offset

ksdwa32

Now if that same adult A was on LTD and ssdi and the child got the say back pay from ssdi would that parent owe money back to the ltd due to the offset
oh its very real im on ssdi and ltd and had a son about 17 years ago my parental rights severed..my ltd is set off by ssdi...was getting all ltd 1500 a month but when i got ssdi it was 1100 so now i get 1100 ssdi and 400 ltd

ksdwa32

Um...the part about offset.

nothing in it that has off set thats why i asked i thought it mite be under something else....i just thought that my ssdi would have hes on it to even if it didnt go to me....or am i looking at this the wrong way

LdiJ

oh its very real im on ssdi and ltd and had a son about 17 years ago my parental rights severed..my ltd is set off by ssdi...was getting all ltd 1500 a month but when i got ssdi it was 1100 so now i get 1100 ssdi and 400 ltd
Do you realize that if the child gets benefits it will have no impact at all on your benefits?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">