• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No contact with hired SSI attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Florida

I hired an SSI Disability Attorney in March 2010 after my case was denied. I spoke this attorney about my case and he agreed to take it. This was the first and last time I spoke with him. I was just notified my mail that we go in front of the Adminisrative Law Judge in August. I have not spoken to this attorney at all. I have spoken with his office quite a few times but I have not spoken directly with him. I am worried that he is not going to be familiar with my case at this hearing. He knows nothing about my conditions and what I go through everyday, he has no idea. What should I do? If I go to this hearing and I loose, can I file an appeal based on lack or inadequate representation?

Onderzoek

There is no adminstrative appeal for 'inadequate representation' since you are not presumed disabled when you apply. The burden of proving that you are disabled is yours. And your argument that if you lose it means he didn't do his job is invalid since that assumes that you do meet the legal definition of disabled because you think so and your denials were legally incorrect.

It is a bit late now, but you do not have to stay with this attorney. You should have been aware of their game plan early on. But in big firms, you may not ever see the person who will represent you until the day of the hearing. The medical evidence is much more important than your allegations of what you go through every day. What does the medical evidence say? Have you read it? Anyone who reads your medical evidence should be able to draw the correct conclusions about your limitations, even without seeing you.

However, I would suggest that you contact the office again and find out what the plan is and see if you can meet with the rep once or twice before the hearing to assuage your fears.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">