• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No one to be my representative payee.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lorraineraul

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I have been mentally disabled since I was a child. I was always receiving Social Security Benefits that I can remember. I always had my father as my representative payee until his passing in 2005. My mother took over as my representative payee. Now she longer wants to do anything that has to do with being my representative payee.

I only know that if I can not find a friend or family member to be my new representative payee, that I become the ward of the state. I do not wish to be. I want to be able to handle my own money.

Social Security states that I need to get a written notice from my doctor to say I am able to handle my own benefits. I am worried that if the doctor signs it, then Social Security may state that I am not disabled and takes all my benefits away. And what if the doctor does not sign it.

I want to manage my own benefits. How can I do this if there is no one willing to help me out.

I was under the age of 18 when my parents became my representative payee, should I have had control of my benefits when I became 18?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I have been mentally disabled since I was a child. I was always receiving Social Security Benefits that I can remember. I always had my father as my representative payee until his passing in 2005. My mother took over as my representative payee. Now she longer wants to do anything that has to do with being my representative payee.

I only know that if I can not find a friend or family member to be my new representative payee, that I become the ward of the state. I do not wish to be. I want to be able to handle my own money.

Social Security states that I need to get a written notice from my doctor to say I am able to handle my own benefits. I am worried that if the doctor signs it, then Social Security may state that I am not disabled and takes all my benefits away. And what if the doctor does not sign it.

I want to manage my own benefits. How can I do this if there is no one willing to help me out.

I was under the age of 18 when my parents became my representative payee, should I have had control of my benefits when I became 18?
You would not become a ward of the State as you put it .

SSA would assign an agency nearby to handle your money ( as Rep. payee ) ,and you are correct ,you would have no say how . They would follow the same guidelines a Rep. payee would . So much a year for clothing ,so much a week to spend,pay your rent and utilities . The would visit you regularly.

If your Dr. signs a statement that you can handle your benefits ,you won't be cut off from them .It would mean ,it's your responsibility to provide for yourself ,including financially .

Why does your mother not want to continue as Rep. Payee ?

Do you hound her for it all ?

She has duties to follow as Rep. Payee.

She could inform SSA she no longer wants to be your Rep. Payee ,and SSA might have to let you handle your own anyways ,as it could take months to set up another one ,but then again maybe not .

If you can't manage your money within your budget ,I suggest you do not however.

BTW ,what is your living situation ?

Last edited:

Onderzoek

Being found capable of managing your own money is not proof that you are no longer disabled. However, if you do have mental problems, being found capable of managing money when you were not capable before is an indication that you have some improvement in your condition.

Think about long term. If you have gotten more stable as you grow older, maybe it's time to go to school to learn a skill or trade that will make you more self-reliant and possibly self-supporting.

If your doctor does not sign the form and your mother refuses to continue, your office can give you the name of an agency that will do these services for a small fee. The benefits of using an agency is that your bills will be paid for you and they will not rip you off nor try to control your behavior. Still, there is only so much money to be paid out. If you want to live beyond your means, the payee agency can't help you. And when a person has run out of reliable and willing family members or friends, an agency is the only option.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">