• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-compliance and SSI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lweissberg

What is the name of your state? NY
I have been living with Social Anxiety Disorder and depression all of my life. (I'm 39.) I also have IBS, which started about 20 years ago, around the same time I stopped trying to keep a job. I've been in various types of treatment since then, both therapy and meds, neither of which have worked. After so many years of trying and failing to get better, I am thinking about applying for SSI. I'm told that I have a decent chance of getting approved, but, here's my problem:

My current psychiatrist had been prescribing three medications, one of which I stopped taking, without telling him. (I stopped taking it because it was making me sick (very nauseas) , but I because of the SAD, I was too embarrassed to tell him.) This is the ONLY time I have done anything like this, but from what I've read this would be seen as non-compliance with treatment, and that it would be grounds for denying my claim.

So, my question is: since I haven't applied for SSI yet, is there anything I can do to correct this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa

lealea1005

What is the name of your state? NY
I have been living with Social Anxiety Disorder and depression all of my life. (I'm 39.) I also have IBS, which started about 20 years ago, around the same time I stopped trying to keep a job. I've been in various types of treatment since then, both therapy and meds, neither of which have worked. After so many years of trying and failing to get better, I am thinking about applying for SSI. I'm told that I have a decent chance of getting approved, but, here's my problem:

My current psychiatrist had been prescribing three medications, one of which I stopped taking, without telling him. (I stopped taking it because it was making me sick (very nauseas) , but I because of the SAD, I was too embarrassed to tell him.) This is the ONLY time I have done anything like this, but from what I've read this would be seen as non-compliance with treatment, and that it would be grounds for denying my claim.

So, my question is: since I haven't applied for SSI yet, is there anything I can do to correct this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lisa
Lisa,
Yes there is. I strongly urge you to report your reaction to the medication to your Psychiatrist immediately. H/she will document your reaction (nausea) in your record and make the decision of whetheror not to add another medication. H/she does not have a crystal ball or ESP and will not be able to treat you effectively without this knowledge. If this truly is the first time, and you are honest with your Psyciatrist about it, I doubt there'd be a problem. Good luck.

BL

Bring up the subject of applying for SSI to your Dr. , see if he would support your claim that you can not work .

Even if He were to say for at least 12 months , you might qualify .

You would be denied on your medical claim , but have a better shot on the mental aspect of it .

lweissberg

I just thought if say thanks again for the advice. I told my doc, and it went reasonably well. It was awkward, but not as bad as I feared.

I do have one more question, though. Now that I'm going to apply for SSI, I was wondering if I have any right to see my medical records? The reason I ask is that when I first went to see him I hadn't intended to apply, and shared I some rather person info (family issues, etc.) believing it was confidential.

Now I'm told I have to have to release my all my medical records to Social Security. After four years of seeing the same doc I can't remember everything what I told him about my personal history, I'm not sure what his observations were, or even what he recorded. (He's a little sparse on the note-taking, at least when I'm in the office.) The thought of letting some stranger read my psychiatric records makes me cringe, especially when I'm not entirely sure what's in them.

I am going to agree to release them because I don't have a choice, but I would feel much more comfortable about it if I knew what information I was sharing. Do I have any rights in this matter?

Again, any advice would be appreciated.

Lisa

Last edited:

BL

Look if your records aren't criminal , don't worry about it all . If you murdered someone , you'd be in lock n keys by now .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">