• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not knowing when I was unable to work since I was laid off because of my delusions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NOMOREPROSE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ/PA

Worked in NJ but reside in PA. I have experienced mental disorders since I was 19. I have been on numerous medications and been through numerous jobs. I do well for a while and then something happens, I crash even with the medicines. I am full of anger and rage and I just sent my former employer a crazy letter asking him to get the Governor to appoint me to a job. They are friends, so I figured why not try one last time to work. My family insists I belong in treatment and that i am not stable to hold a job. I feel that I could work but perhaps not full time. at My last job I complained about mistreatment but My boss said I was just paranoid and delusional in his defense. Maybe he is right, idk. 0 two days later I was laid off and I was told to tell unemployment office that I was laid off because of no work. I went along with the story but my health declined and I started getting more erractic. I stayed in bed for days, other days I stayed up for 3-4 days at a time. I cut off all of my hair and did go on two interviews during the past two years but I wore a wig and I think it was obvious I had been up for days. The problem I have is, I feel like I am smart enough to do something but I have been diagnosed as an ultradian rapid bipolar cycler. I can be fine one second and change the next with no provocation. I've been through countless jobs, praised for my dedication and work and support only to in a flash be fired because of irrational behaivor. A part of me feels like I am giving up if I try to apply for Disability. the other part of me feels like I should be strong enough to handle anything. Another part of me feels that nothing is wrong with me and I am just surrounded by *******s but everyone around me tells me I am delusional and crazy and that I should apply. Also I feel like that I was forced to go along with the unemployment but I really wasn't up for looking for a job. At this point, I'd rather just go to jail and confess and pay back the money since I did everything wrong apparently. I don't feel crazy all the time, Sometimes I am so super capable, the other times I am completly worthless.

Proserpina

Worked in NJ but reside in PA. I have experienced mental disorders since I was 19. I have been on numerous medications and been through numerous jobs. I do well for a while and then something happens, I crash even with the medicines. I am full of anger and rage and I just sent my former employer a crazy letter asking him to get the Governor to appoint me to a job. They are friends, so I figured why not try one last time to work. My family insists I belong in treatment and that i am not stable to hold a job. I feel that I could work but perhaps not full time. at My last job I complained about mistreatment but My boss said I was just paranoid and delusional in his defense. Maybe he is right, idk. 0 two days later I was laid off and I was told to tell unemployment office that I was laid off because of no work. I went along with the story but my health declined and I started getting more erractic. I stayed in bed for days, other days I stayed up for 3-4 days at a time. I cut off all of my hair and did go on two interviews during the past two years but I wore a wig and I think it was obvious I had been up for days. The problem I have is, I feel like I am smart enough to do something but I have been diagnosed as an ultradian rapid bipolar cycler. I can be fine one second and change the next with no provocation. I've been through countless jobs, praised for my dedication and work and support only to in a flash be fired because of irrational behaivor. A part of me feels like I am giving up if I try to apply for Disability. the other part of me feels like I should be strong enough to handle anything. Another part of me feels that nothing is wrong with me and I am just surrounded by *******s but everyone around me tells me I am delusional and crazy and that I should apply. Also I feel like that I was forced to go along with the unemployment but I really wasn't up for looking for a job. At this point, I'd rather just go to jail and confess and pay back the money since I did everything wrong apparently. I don't feel crazy all the time, Sometimes I am so super capable, the other times I am completly worthless.

Did you have a question?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Speak with your therapist/psychiatrist. They are the ones who can help you. :cool:

NOMOREPROSE

Speak with your therapist/psychiatrist. They are the ones who can help you. :cool:

Thank you, I suppose I am just tired of dealing with them.
Just want to fill me up with medicines.... not 100% sure I would qualify because half of the time I am super capable of thining, working and doing things. the other half of the time I am paralzyed in my own mind. Sorry if it doesnt make much sense.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I was on medicine it does not always work but thank you agan.
That's when you talk to the psychiatrist about a different medicine. It's trial and error. That's why it's called an 'art' and 'practice'.

You can apply for SSDI, but without a certain number of work quarters, you will not qualify. SSDI is not needs-based and the amount of money you receive is qualified by your former income.

You can also apply for SSI, which is not based on work quarters/history. SSI is needs-based and runs approximately +/-$700/month. Some states offer secondary benefits.

www.ssa.gov

Ladyback1

Thank you, I suppose I am just tired of dealing with them.
Just want to fill me up with medicines.... not 100% sure I would qualify because half of the time I am super capable of thining, working and doing things. the other half of the time I am paralzyed in my own mind. Sorry if it doesnt make much sense.
The SSDI/SSA questionnaire asks when you last worked, and if you left that job because of your claimed disability.
It will also ask when you *think* you were incapable of working because of your disability.

Sweetie? I'm saying this from the heart---those medications and therapist/counselors can help. Please, please, please utilize meds and counseling/therapy.

Did you know that SSDI/SSA can approve you for disability and help you get into vocational rehabilitation. Review your claim in 3 years, and you very well could be deemed NOT disabled? Some people need that sort of thing to get themselves together mentally or to heal physically.

Speak with a mental health advocate and ask them to assist you filling out the application.

Proserpina

The SSDI/SSA questionnaire asks when you last worked, and if you left that job because of your claimed disability.
It will also ask when you *think* you were incapable of working because of your disability.

Sweetie? I'm saying this from the heart---those medications and therapist/counselors can help. Please, please, please utilize meds and counseling/therapy.

Did you know that SSDI/SSA can approve you for disability and help you get into vocational rehabilitation. Review your claim in 3 years, and you very well could be deemed NOT disabled? Some people need that sort of thing to get themselves together mentally or to heal physically.

Speak with a mental health advocate and ask them to assist you filling out the application.

OP, this is an excellent post. Print it out, and tape it to the door.

NOMOREPROSE

Thank you all. I will call the Dr. Tomorrow. My most recent social security statement says I have earned enough money to qualify and estimated 1400 a month for disability. I could make so much more if I worked but I actually fell asleep behind the wheel driving to work because I was on so many meds. I assure you I have been through a plethora of medicines over the years. I don't know what is left.

Proserpina

That's when you talk to the psychiatrist about a different medicine. It's trial and error. That's why it's called an 'art' and 'practice'.

You can apply for SSDI, but without a certain number of work quarters, you will not qualify. SSDI is not needs-based and the amount of money you receive is qualified by your former income.

You can also apply for SSI, which is not based on work quarters/history. SSI is needs-based and runs approximately +/-$700/month. Some states offer secondary benefits.

www.ssa.gov

And this is also a most excellent post.

(one day my "like" button will work. Le sigh)

Ladyback1

Thank you all. I will call the Dr. Tomorrow. My most recent social security statement says I have earned enough money to qualify and estimated 1400 a month for disability. I could make so much more if I worked but I actually fell asleep behind the wheel driving to work because I was on so many meds. I assure you I have been through a plethora of medicines over the years. I don't know what is left.
sometimes it's finding a combo that works. No two bipolars are the same, and unfortunately the drugs aren't one size fits all...it's not even a case of one size fits most!

But, I truly believe that if you can find the right therapy, right drug combo, right support network, you can be a functional and contributing member of society!

You aren't crazy. You just have some chemicals in your brain that aren't playing nice with you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">