• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L416

I live in AZ and SSI is saying I owe overpayment money because I did not report child support income. When I went to my first appointment to get SSI for my Son, they told me that I need to first get child support before my son would get SSI so I did and went to a second appointment to verify that my son then received child support and now they are saying I didn't report it and owe them money back. THEY ARE THE ONES THAT TOLD ME TO GET CHILD SUPPORT IN ORDER TO GET SSI AND I DID AND THEY GRANTED MY SON SSI BECAUSE OF THAT but now I have to pay them back? What can I do?

swalsh411

They are saying you did not report the amount of child support you were receiving. Are you denying this?

L416

Yes, they are saying that I did not report it. I reported even when I first received SSI for my son because that was a stipulation to receiving the SSI in the first place. I am going to look for my documents dating way back when and also ask for ALL of the documents on record. $8,000 has to be paid back supposedly. I don't know what to do.

Isis1

Yes, they are saying that I did not report it. I reported even when I first received SSI for my son because that was a stipulation to receiving the SSI in the first place. I am going to look for my documents dating way back when and also ask for ALL of the documents on record. $8,000 has to be paid back supposedly. I don't know what to do.
okay...you can first ask for a waiver, or a partial waiver. if that's denied, they can reduce the remaining SSI amount (if there is any) on a payment plan. or you can ask for a payment plan.

L416

Thank you for the information. I guess it is just very nerve racking because I feel like I don't stand a chance, no matter what, against the Government.

BL

Request For Waiver Of Overpayment Recovery Or Change In Repayment Rate - Form SSA-632-BK

You can request both a reconsideration and a waiver .

Do not delay.

You can request them from SSA , or print them out from the links.

If you are not sure how to fill them out , set up a time to have an SSA representative help you - Have ALL your SSA notices and proofs of income with you .

Having them reveiw everything with you and helping you fill out the request may be the best way .

As was said , if denied you can ask for a repayment plan , so they take out an amount you can work with or as little I think as 10% , that's if there is time before the child ages out to repay at 10%.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">