• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overpayment of SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Roxrox

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

So I got a notice of overpayment (by way more than they have ever even paid me). Argh! I'm going in to the SSA office tomorrow to sort things out and see what I can do. I do have some very specific questions at this time...

My brother died suddenly at 27 years old and I received an inheritance (about $15,000). Is this considered "income" that I was supposed to report?

My husband set up a business, but had me be the CEO so that we could get a few more tax advantages. However, I have never actually worked to earn income for the business. My husband is an independent contractor, and decided to set up the business so that he could claim deductions. Would this count as income that I was supposed to report? The only information I can find in their communications to me was that I was supposed to report if I ever returned to work.

Our business account holds most of our debt, while my personal bank account has all of our savings. How does SS choose to look at things? Will they only ask for my personal bank information (which won't show how much debt we really have)? Or will they ask to see all bank accounts (which would include the income that my husband earned)?

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Roxrox

Well, after going to the SS office, I was able to get my questions answered. I hope this helps if anyone else has a similar situation.

My inheritance from my brother was not included in my income (as far as SSDI).

The income from my husband's business was considered my income, since it was a part of our tax return. I'm not sure how much this will affect my situation, as I didn't know that this was something I had to report, despite not working a single second.

The 3rd question I guess I didn't really get answered. If anyone knows more about this, please post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">