• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent AND dep. child both disabled. Which program should the child be receiving?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HoboJo

Asking for a friend because she is very confused and I'm hoping to find some good advice!
She is disabled (broken/ruptured discs in back) and will qualify for SSD (in the process right now).
She has a son, age 6, who is diagnosed with level 2 autism.
Should she simply include him as a dependent on her own SSD case or apply for him to receive his own benefits through SSI?
I thought better to apply for him to have his own case in order that he would qualify for programs and services to help with his autism and also have the benefit of qualifying for those services (and yes- the cash benefit as well) even if SHE can eventually go back to work. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

edit: Or can he be eligible for both? I would think not, but it's worth asking?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Asking for a friend because she is very confused and I'm hoping to find some good advice!
She is disabled (broken/ruptured discs in back) and will qualify for SSD (in the process right now).
Should she simply include him as a dependent on her own SSD case or apply for him to receive his own benefits through SSI?
I thought better to apply for him to have his own case in order that he would qualify for programs and services to help with his autism and also have the benefit of qualifying for those services (and yes- the cash benefit as well) even if SHE can eventually go back to work. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

What guarantee is it that her son is disabled and would qualify for benefits on his own?

Ladyback1

If the ruptured discs is all that she is filing for she may not qualify.

Onderzoek

Once the mother has been found disabled and entitled to SSDI benefits, claims would be taken for all of her minor children, including this child. Doesn't do much good to file before the mother is approved. Your local office may have a different policy.

SSI has no retroactivity before the application date so if she wants to apply for SSI for the child she should do so today. Or as soon as possible. The disability report can be completed online and the local office will contact her for the non-medical issues, income and resources. What does she live on right now? That matters. If the SSDI claim for the mother is approved, then she will be REQUIRED to file for SSDI for the child because the amount received will reduce the amount of SSI paid. It is a requirement of SSI to file for all other benefits that you might be entitled to. SSI recipients don't have a choice.

It is possible that he would be eligible for both, one or the other or neither.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">