• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

payee with abusive recipient

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

racerlupine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have a friend who is a payee. The recipient is constantly harassing her with abusive phone calls and messages, unwanted home visits, and threats of violence. She (the payee) wants to stop being his payee but hasn't got very far with SSA. How does a payee STOP being a payee? Does she have to come up with a replacement payee first, or is that the recipient's responsibility? Most important: can a payee STOP being a payee without the recipient's consent and/or knowledge? (The recipient will go ballistic over this and she is frightened of him.)

thanks

RACER

Onderzoek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have a friend who is a payee. The recipient is constantly harassing her with abusive phone calls and messages, unwanted home visits, and threats of violence. She (the payee) wants to stop being his payee but hasn't got very far with SSA. How does a payee STOP being a payee? Does she have to come up with a replacement payee first, or is that the recipient's responsibility? Most important: can a payee STOP being a payee without the recipient's consent and/or knowledge? (The recipient will go ballistic over this and she is frightened of him.)

thanks

RACER
She goes to the Social Security office and says that I will be payee for February 2013, but that is the last month. I will no longer serve as payee.

Of course it is helpful to the recipient to tell him. He will find out and it is better that he finds out with enough time that a new payee can be found and appointed with no disruption in his benefit payments. Of course he will be informed, but no, he doesn't have to agree. SSA does not need his consent to remove your friend as payee. That is 100% her decision.

She may have to get a protective order if she is worried about his reaction.

There are bonded payee agencies that manage benefits for recipients. They charge a small fee since they are in business. He may not like their structure and the fact that they charge a fee. SSA may pay him directly on an interim basis but unless he can establish that he makes good decisions about his own money, he will need a payee. Good decisions include paying rent and having enough food in the cupboard to last all month.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">