• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payee and Process to Change It? (Or Get the Money into His Control?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Skie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Cali

My friend would like to move, and his mother is his payee. She already seems to misuse his money in the first place and probably won't assist him once he moves...

Anyway, what is the process for getting a new payee or getting the money into his hands? He's afraid he'll be kicked off SSI if he's able to handle the money. He's on SSI for autism.

Onderzoek

There are payee agencies that are bonded and charge a fee for managing money of people who have problems managing money. The agency sets up a budget, writes checks for rent on the first, issues spending money throughout the month and saves money if there is any left over. If he hasn't ever managed his money, he may or may not be able to do a good job.

Skie

There are payee agencies that are bonded and charge a fee for managing money of people who have problems managing money. The agency sets up a budget, writes checks for rent on the first, issues spending money throughout the month and saves money if there is any left over. If he hasn't ever managed his money, he may or may not be able to do a good job.
I personally don't think he has money managing problems. SSA is the one who thinks he does...

Also I think that's lame that they charge money to handle your money... I don't get that.

Onderzoek

He is too disabled to work because of a mental disorder, correct? That may or may not mean he is unable to manage money. Has he managed money in the past? Does he have a budget? Does he know how much his rent is and would be sure to pay it every month? So far, what we know about him is that he has not demonstrated the ability to find answers out for himself since you are attempting to do it for him. That indicates that he has some limits in managing his own business.

There are payee agencies that are bonded and are in the business to manage money. They are an excellent alternative to some family members who see their SSI relative as a cash cow. You are the one who said his mother is misusing his money. She is not charging him a fee and is not required by SSA to keep receipts for everything. A payee agency is and their records are closely monitored. And, the funds in the bond are available to replace SSI funds if they misuse. For misuse to be found by your friend's mother, he would have to establish that she is spending SSI funds on things other than his rent, food, share of utilities, etc. Does she give him a place to sleep? Is there food in the cupboard when he wants it? I do believe that a mother can misuse a child's SSI and some see the SSI as family income when it is not, but there needs to be evidence for SSA to make a decision AND then it is difficult to recover the money from a poor family member.

If you think it is lame, you volunteer to manage the money of 5 or 10 friends (let alone 200-2000) and see how much time it takes you and how much grief you get.

For a story about a woman who did manage money of SSI recipients for free, read the following link. It was this story that led to payee agencies as a business.

Dorothea Puente - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">