• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payee Representative SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wkpone12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Georgia

My wife is currently getting benefits from my ssdi disability for her and my son. Son is 12 and she and he split the benefit which is a percentage of mine. My question is this

If son goes to live with his grandmother and she is named rep payee for him will my wife lose her benefit. My wife is also disable but did not have credits for work as she has always been housewife. Is she entitled to these benefits because ssi benefit for her is null due to my income.

thanks

Onderzoek

Sounds like your wife is getting benefits because she has your child-in-care. Her benefits last until the child is age 16 or she no longer has him in her care. So the month after he goes to live with his grandmother, she will no longer be eligible for those benefits. Changing payee would be appropriate, but as soon as he moves out, she is no longer eligible even if she remains payee for a month or two.

She cannot get benefits on your record without a child in care unless she is age 62 or you are deceased and she is over age 50 and disabled.

You don't need to answer this, but I find it a bit strange that you would allow your 12 year old son to move out to live with a grandparent unless things are really bad at your home. Since neither you nor your wife are working every day, it seems you would have alot of time to devote to your child's needs rather than let a senior citizen take care of an active child. Confusing.

Perhaps your wife could find a simple repetitive job to do so she can earn her own quarters.

wkpone12

My self and wife are both too ill to take care of ourselves let alone a child. my sister is to assist my mother. will child get full amount of benefit or just the half he has been getting?

Isis1

My self and wife are both too ill to take care of ourselves let alone a child. my sister is to assist my mother. will child get full amount of benefit or just the half he has been getting?
Hoooooolld on a minute! In your other thread you are claiming your child was kidnapped for a whole year, but you are still receiving benefits for the child? That sounds alot like fraud to me!

And you want custody back? But here you want the child to live with grandma?

wkpone12

Hold on a minute. I have private disability and elected not to take child benefits. My wife and I were seperated and she was getting ssi during the period. The whole mess stems from years of problems too numberous to mention. Once we got back together my ssdi benefits were appoved and I asked this question to make a decision on my private disability benefits. No fraud as I have only been collecting private disability. My benefits were approved in January and had 5 month waiting period. When we were notified of approval we now have to make a decision concerning this. It was my understanding from ssi that my wife and son got benefits seperate. I only asked for wife to get benefits and ssi told me that there was an amount that could be split between them or either one could get the whole amount. At any rate we only have gotten one payment and I will contact them today to see if this is correct. If I have recieved anything that is not mine I will happily repay them. Can ssdi pay one or both. The rep at ssdi states I have an option wheather or not to take benefits. I am mainly writing here as I stated I can not afford an attorney at this time and need some advice. I should have said what if?. At any rate my wife's attorney that got her ssi has volunteered to help us as of this morning. Thanks for the help. I am terminal and will need a heart transplant in the future. I really am not sure here what to do but I am looking at all my options. My wife is ill but still thinks she can raise our son and so do I, but will I feel this way on a bad day or week. I had some minor brain damage in surgery and can not express my self clearly sometimes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">