• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying renter insurance for someone on SSI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mini me

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Can i as rep pay ... pay for renters insurance on someone getting SSI? They live in an apt and i want to make sure items are safe.

OHRoadwarrior

Yes, however, they should make that decision, unless you have POA or guardianship. You would need to do so with their money. The only legal way you could do it otherwise, would be if you owned/loaned a possession(s) in their apartment and paid for the insurance to protect your asset(s) out of your own pocket.

Last edited:

BL

A Guide For Representative Payees

How you must use monthly benefits
First, you must make sure the beneficiary’s day-to-day needs for food and shelter are met. Then, the money can be used for any of the beneficiary’s medical and dental care that is not covered by health insurance, and for personal needs, such as clothing and recreation. If there is money left after you pay for the beneficiary’s needs, it must be saved, preferably in an interest-bearing account or U.S. Savings Bonds.

If the beneficiary is in a nursing home or other institution, you should use the benefits to pay the usual charges for care. In this case, you should set aside a minimum of $30 each month to be used for the beneficiary’s personal needs.

Also, if the beneficiary lives in an institution and is eligible for Medicaid or is a member of a family that receives payments from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, you should contact your local Social Security office about using the beneficiary’s Social Security benefits to support the family.

As a general rule, you may not take a fee from the beneficiary’s funds for your services as a representative payee. If you have questions about this, contact your local Social Security office.

mini me

A Guide For Representative Payees

How you must use monthly benefits
First, you must make sure the beneficiary’s day-to-day needs for food and shelter are met. Then, the money can be used for any of the beneficiary’s medical and dental care that is not covered by health insurance, and for personal needs, such as clothing and recreation. If there is money left after you pay for the beneficiary’s needs, it must be saved, preferably in an interest-bearing account or U.S. Savings Bonds.

If the beneficiary is in a nursing home or other institution, you should use the benefits to pay the usual charges for care. In this case, you should set aside a minimum of $30 each month to be used for the beneficiary’s personal needs.

Also, if the beneficiary lives in an institution and is eligible for Medicaid or is a member of a family that receives payments from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, you should contact your local Social Security office about using the beneficiary’s Social Security benefits to support the family.

As a general rule, you may not take a fee from the beneficiary’s funds for your services as a representative payee. If you have questions about this, contact your local Social Security office.

I want to pay out of my pocket for the insurance. I do not want to use SSI to pay. This post is if i use SSI to pay.

BL

I want to pay out of my pocket for the insurance. I do not want to use SSI to pay. This post is if i use SSI to pay.
No. Read your duties .

You would have to report it .

SSI limit is 2 grand .

If an SSI recipient that can afford it they can pay their own renter's insurance. ( IE: if they live in subsidized housing )

OHRoadwarrior

You cannot pay it, for their benefit, out of your own money, without declaring it as money given to them.

Last edited:

mini me

Thanks....now i understand. Actually we found a policy that is 10.00 a month and they can pay for it out of SSI each month. This way if something happens belongings are protected.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">