• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help me :(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohio85

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hi. Just a little bit about my 'case' before I ask a few questions. I'm 26-year-old male who has never had a job in his life(apart from being at one 2 hours). Not because I don't want to, or because I am lazy, but I literally cannot do it. The stress of working is too much for me. I tried to work when I was 18-years-old at a Little Caesar's. I ended up walking out and quitting within 2 hours because I was starting to have a panic attack. I feel like I have many mental disorders that have not been diagnosed, due to me not being able to afford to see a psychiatrist. I really need help. I waited this long to try to get on SSI because it's embarrassing and I feel like a failure at life, but I know now in my heart I will never be a normal human being and will never be able to work. I considered killing myself, but I know that would devastate my Mother and girlfriend(she has said she would kill herself if I did), so I don't want to do that. I'm living with my Mother right now and I'm just tired of being a burden to her, I need this SSI. A couple things important to note; I was taken out of school in the 7th grade because I couldn't deal with it and refused to go, so I effectively have the education of a 6th grader. Everything I've learned has been on my own. It may seem surprising, because I have fairly good grammar and spelling, but for example, I couldn't tell you the answer to basic math questions. And #2, my family has a long history of mental illness. Grandfather killed himself in his early 40's, was manic depressive bipolar. My Aunt has been on SSI and medicaid her entire life; she had shock treatments at age 12 and they recommended she be admitted to an institution for her entire life. She is schizo-effective -- her condition has not improved.

I have 5 main questions:
1) Does the state I'm applying for SSI in have any effect on how much money I would receive per month?
2) What(if any) effect does getting married have on my SSI benefits? Girlfriend makes roughly 40k/year.
3) Would owning my own place have any effect on how much I receive a month? If so, positive or negative?
4) If I hire a lawyer, is he/she going to be able to get me more money a month than if I went it alone? From research online, it seems as though 600-900/mo is typical. I don't know how anyone can live on 600 a month; I don't need a nice home, but I need to be able to live on my own and stop burdening my mother. Is it more likely that my lawyer can get me closer to the 900 figure, or does the presence of a lawyer usually just mean less leg work for me to do?
5) Does getting on SSI automatically get me Medicaid benefits? I currently have no health insurance and have a ton of health problems I've been letting go and not telling anyone about because I don't want to be a burden. My mom has hardly any money as it is, I will not have her pay for my medical bills, I would rather die.

Extra question now that I think of it, should I tell my lawyer/psychiatrist(when I get one) that I am suicidal? I don't want to be put into an institution. I would rather be dead, honestly.

Thanks in advance for anyone that is willing to help me, it would mean more to me than you know. I am really desperate to not feel like a burden anymore. I really don't want to die. Thank you for reading my post.

commentator

OP, if you could afford to move to another state to get slightly more money from SSI, you don't need it anyway. The average amount people draw on SSI is less than $700 a month. Some states suppliment this with a stipend of their own. Some do not. Your amount may be reduced based on support you receive from others. The system does not give a hoot about how much you think you need to live on adequately. It simply is what it is.

Your mother should have been prosecuted for taking you out of school in the 7th grade because you couldn't "deal with it." There are a lot of programs in place that would have helped you deal with it far better than you could hiding out at home trying to educate yourself.

In fact, Vocational Rehabilitation services is a resource you should check out in your state right now. The local Career Center system will have information about Rehabilitation Services. They help people like you and provide free vocational counseling and vocational testing and sheltered workshops for people to get started being self sufficient.

SSI is for those who have a disability and have no income credits to draw SSDI, and meet the income guidelines. You can google the types of income guidelines that might be followed as well as anyone can. Look under SSI on the Social Security website for a much better idea of how the programs work.

Yes, owning your own place would certainly have some consideration, negative, not positive. If you are able to afford your own place, you probably do not meet the guidelines. Since your mother has apparently been supporting you for the last few years, her income would probably be taken into consideration if you file right now.

If you marry your girlfriend, her assets, salaries and resources will be considered. You might or might not qualify under these circumstances.

If you could afford to hire an attorney to get you on SSI, you probably don't need and would not qualify for SSI anyway. Hiring an attorney would NOT mean any sort of negotiation for more money was possible. What you get in your state on SSI is what you get. All you need to do is apply for SSI, they are well versed in what it takes to get a person certified or not certified. You don't need an attorney to apply for it for you. It is a needs based program, which means they have to determine your assets and resources and see that they fall below a certain level.

How do you think you are going to document your disabiity to get SSI if you do not have any record of medical treatment for it? You are sounding dangerously depressed, just from your post. If you attempt suicide you'll end up in the medical and mental health system anyway. Why not be proactive and get treated before you get too far gone? That stuff about not wanting to cost your mom any money because you're proud and would rather die first is your illness talking, and it's hooey. She'd certainly rather pay your medical bills for a while than pay for your burial, I bet!

There are others who can provide more information, but it sounds as though you simply need to go to the websites and look a lot of this stuff up for yourself.

Last edited:

ohio85

OP, if you can afford to move to another state to get slightly more money from SSI, you don't need it anyway. The average amount people draw on SSI is less than $700 a month. The system does not give a hoot about how much you "need" to live on adequately. .
It's not even about living adequately, it's about just being able to actually live. I don't see how you would do it with that sort of income @ 600/mo. And it wouldn't take a lot to move to another state, I live on the MI/OH state line and my gf also wants us to move to Florida, to start our lives there, so I thought I would ask.

Your mother should have been prosecuted for taking you out of school in the 7th grade because you couldn't "deal with it." There are a lot of programs in place that would have helped you deal with it far better than you could hiding out at home trying to educate yourself.

In fact, Vocational Rehabilitation services is a resource you should check out in your state right now. The local Career Center system will have information about Rehabilitation Services. They help people like you and provide free vocational counseling and vocational testing and sheltered workshops for people to get started being self sufficient.
My Mom is a great lady and did the best she could. I don't want any programs now and I certainly wouldn't have wanted them then. I just want my little bit of money to live on and access to healthcare. This is not about being sheltered, I assure you.

SSI is for those who have a disability and have no income credits to draw SSDI, and meet the income guidelines. You can google the types of income guidelines that might be followed as well as anyone can.
Mental illness is a disability, just like any other.

Yes, owning your own place would certainly have some consideration, negative, not positive. If you are able to afford your own place, you probably do not meet the guidelines. Since your mother has apparently been supporting you for the last few years, her income would probably be taken into consideration if you file right now.
Would I be better off to say I live with my gf then and pay rent?

If you could afford to hire an attorney to get you on SSI, you probably don't need and would not qualify for SSI anyway.
I don't have the money to. It said online that they take 25% of your backpay as their payment.

How do you think you are going to document your disabiity to get SSI if you do not have medical treatment for it?
How am I supposed to be able to afford to go to a psychiatrist if I'm not able to work? I have no insurance. I don't have the money to go.

There are others who can provide more information, but it sounds as though you simply need to go to the websites and look a lot of this stuff up for yourself.
I've been to the websites. I was hoping to find someone who is an expert on this type of thing.

tranquility

I think a better first step is to get help for your mental issues. Don't see a psychiatrist to build a file for future money from me, see him to help you. Tell him all you are thinking--you will not be helped from manipulating the situation.

You will not be happier with government money. You will be the same happy minus whatever anger you will generate from the feeling the government should give you more. From the way you write, the claim you can't work is wrong. You just may not be suited for many jobs. There are things you can do from home that has little interaction with others. My point is not to say you're wrong, but to show that you may not be exploring all your options. This is common when one gets trapped in circumstance. The wheels go round and round, but they only go to the same place time and time again. You need someone to help you turn towards some goal.

In fact, you may be a prescription and a couple of weeks away from a much better life.

ohio85

I think a better first step is to get help for your mental issues. Don't see a psychiatrist to build a file for future money from me, see him to help you. Tell him all you are thinking--you will not be helped from manipulating the situation.
I am beyond help. Trust me on that. I promise you.

You will not be happier with government money. You will be the same happy minus whatever anger you will generate from the feeling the government should give you more.
I don't need happiness, to be honest. What I need is to stop being a burden to my Mother. I need to get out of her house and working is not something I can do.

From the way you write, the claim you can't work is wrong. You just may not be suited for many jobs. There are things you can do from home that has little interaction with others. My point is not to say you're wrong, but to show that you may not be exploring all your options. This is common when one gets trapped in circumstance. The wheels go round and round, but they only go to the same place time and time again. You need someone to help you turn towards some goal.
I tried working from online. I tried to start an eBay business and also internet marketing, but both of those would give me severe depression and panic attacks, because even that felt like too much. For example, every time I would get an e-mail from a customer, not even knowing what it was about, it would trigger me to have a panic attack.

In fact, you may be a prescription and a couple of weeks away from a much better life.
I would never do that. I don't want any fake feelings. I would rather die.

tranquility

I am beyond help. Trust me on that. I promise you.
You have no idea of what you are capable of. You've had untreated mental illness for all of your life. It changes your thinking. Besides, the government will not just "trust" you on getting benefits, nor will a doctor qualified to give an opinion you are disabled. If you go in with an attitude you want benefits, the doctor will not think you are disabled as much as a malingerer. If you go in with a try to change, you may get the help you need AND maybe a time of disability to help you get on your feet.

I don't need happiness, to be honest. What I need is to stop being a burden to my Mother. I need to get out of her house and working is not something I can do.
Sorry, you don't get to choose what you can do.

I said happier. Not happiness. One is a change from your current position for the better, the other is an unobtainable goal.

I tried working from online. I tried to start an eBay business and also internet marketing, but both of those would give me severe depression and panic attacks, because even that felt like too much. For example, every time I would get an e-mail from a customer, not even knowing what it was about, it would trigger me to have a panic attack.
Then, you better get an attorney to help you here, there is not going to be a smooth path to money.

Both panic attacks and depression can often be treated with medication.

I would never do that. I don't want any fake feelings. I would rather die.
Is stitching up an arm "fake" skin? Do you have a "fake" body if a cancerous tumor is removed? Is it "fake" if you are cured by antibiotics rather than natural antibodies?

I can't diagnose you, but, experts have learned a ton about the brain and how it works over the years. Recent advances in imaging technology give them an immediate look at brain activity, giving researchers true insight about what is happening in the black box. Correcting brain chemistry can change lives for the better.

I attended group sessions for grief. Between the loss of my wife and my mother a few months apart, I was not myself and thought the sessions would help. They did. My problems were situational and just getting to talk about them in a supportive environment helped me a lot.

I recognize your issues are different, but, one of the women in the group was always sad and morose and had no hope for the future after her husband had died. He died five years ago and she is still talking about the same things she did back then. She also had a reticence for taking anti-depressants for the same reason you mention. Finally, she was convinced to start. A few weeks later, in group, someone made a joke and she laughed. While you can't understand what that really means as you weren't there, my eyes fill up as I write the prior sentence. Just thinking about what that laughter represented gives me, years later, tears of joy.

(Did you know that carbohydrates have mental effects too? Stop eating starches and sugars, they give you "fake" feelings.)

Last edited:

BL

I have 5 main questions:
1)

Does the state I'm applying for SSI in have any effect on how much money I would receive per month?
These State suppliment SSI payments.

Supplemental Security Income benefit amount

2) What(if any) effect does getting married have on my SSI benefits? Girlfriend makes roughly 40k/year.
3)

Even if you live together, go around acting as if you're a couple or married , SSA will calculate as if you were legally married.

And if you do ,or were to marry ,her income would factor in .

You may end up determined ineligable because of it.

Would owning my own place have any effect on how much I receive a month? If so, positive or negative?
You can own a home and if you live it it be eligable still.It would effect your amount in itself .

The question is can you afford it on your own and maintain it ,pay the taxes ,etc ? If you get monetary help owning one ,it will count against you.

4) If I hire a lawyer, is he/she going to be able to get me more money a month than if I went it alone?
No ,you'd get the same monthly amount .Your lawyer would take about 25% of any retroactive amount due you from the date of filing.

5) Does getting on SSI automatically get me Medicaid benefits?
Yes ,if you qualify for SSI.
You are 26 YRS. Old apply to your States welfare office.

Extra question now that I think of it, should I tell my lawyer/psychiatrist(when I get one) that I am suicidal?
Yes ,if you have suicidal ideations.

You will need an evaluation , a diagnoses ,and some treatment .

If you DX is serious enough and the mental health DR. beleives your condition prevents you from gainful employment , you might qualify the first time , if not ,your going to have to get into treatment and see where it goes from there .

ohio85

You have no idea of what you are capable of. You've had untreated mental illness for all of your life. It changes your thinking.
You will probably feel like what I'm going to say to this is mental illness talking, but I really feel like it isn't. But, sometimes I feel like I am not actually mentally ill, but blessed with clarity that others don't have about life. That I see life for what it is -- something terrible. A punishment; hell, if you will.

Besides, the government will not just "trust" you on getting benefits, nor will a doctor qualified to give an opinion you are disabled. If you go in with an attitude you want benefits, the doctor will not think you are disabled as much as a malingerer. If you go in with a try to change, you may get the help you need AND maybe a time of disability to help you get on your feet.
At this point, I'm going to need to get on disability for the forseeable future or I will need to kill myself. Those are my 2 options right now.

Sorry, you don't get to choose what you can do.
I do have a choice. It may not be the best one, but ultimately, my life is in my hands at all times.

Then, you better get an attorney to help you here, there is not going to be a smooth path to money.
Question about that: can I file myself now, then if I get denied, can I hire a lawyer and still get the backpay from my original claim? Or would I need to file again, on my own, in order to get backpay?

Both panic attacks and depression can often be treated with medication.
I am very much against medication. Not only am I against it, but I can't afford it.

Is stitching up an arm "fake" skin? Do you have a "fake" body if a cancerous tumor is removed? Is it "fake" if you are cured by antibiotics rather than natural antibodies?
It is a fair point, but I'm sure I could also feel better by becoming an alcoholic; both turn you numb to your real feelings.

I can't diagnose you, but, experts have learned a ton about the brain and how it works over the years. Recent advances in imaging technology give them an immediate look at brain activity, giving researchers true insight about what is happening in the black box. Correcting brain chemistry can change lives for the better.

I attended group sessions for grief. Between the loss of my wife and my mother a few months apart, I was not myself and thought the sessions would help. They did. My problems were situational and just getting to talk about them in a supportive environment helped me a lot.

I recognize your issues are different, but, one of the women in the group was always sad and morose and had no hope for the future after her husband had died. He died five years ago and she is still talking about the same things she did back then. She also had a reticence for taking anti-depressants for the same reason you mention. Finally, she was convinced to start. A few weeks later, in group, someone made a joke and she laughed. While you can't understand what that really means as you weren't there, my eyes fill up as I write the prior sentence. Just thinking about what that laughter represented gives me, years later, tears of joy.

(Did you know that carbohydrates have mental effects too? Stop eating starches and sugars, they give you "fake" feelings.)
If you're talking about me having a chemical imbalance in my brain, then I would be open to the idea of medication in that situation. If you're talking about medication that's just going to sedate me and make me feel numb to everything, I would definitely be against that, 100%.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
There are community mental health centers that offer treatment for those who have no-where else to turn for treatment. I suggest you get in contact with yours and let them know that you are having suicidal ideation. They can help you get the treatment you need. :cool:

tranquility

If you're talking about me having a chemical imbalance in my brain, then I would be open to the idea of medication in that situation.
I am simply not qualified to guess about a chemical imbalance here, but, that is what the expert you see is for. As I wrote, one woman suffered for five years before accepting the recommendation of her doctor and took the medication. A couple of weeks and her life changed. Isn't it worth a try?

See also:
Ohio Department of Mental Health | Getting Treatment

Personal edit:
Understand I am not comparing myself to you. My issues were related to specific things and I could see the changes were temporary. (At least at that time, not treating things makes it harder to treat later.) But, I promise, there is a different world out there when you aren't looking out through a deep depression. Even if it's a lie, it's WAY better.

Last edited:

commentator

Quote: "It's not even about living adequately, it's about just being able to actually live. I don't see how you would do it with that sort of income @ 600/mo. And it wouldn't take a lot to move to another state, I live on the MI/OH state line and my gf also wants us to move to Florida, to start our lives there, so I thought I would ask.

No extras in any of these states. So less than $700 it is. IF you qualify, which you're not going to without some definite medical evidence that you are too disabled to work.

An attorney if you were silly enough to hire one and they would actually take your case,first thing they would tell you is to obtain some medical support for your self-diagnoses of "I'm too mentally ill to work." As someone said, the government program is not going to just take your word for this.

Quote: "Question about that: can I file myself now, then if I get denied, can I hire a lawyer and still get the backpay from my original claim? Or would I need to file again, on my own, in order to get backpay?"

In the application process, when are you going to say the condition began? Do you think they are going to believe you? Do you think that they would believe someone who sauntered in and said, "I have a heart condition, I'm too ill to work. No I haven't been to the doctor yet, but I know I've had it for a long time. Everyone in my family does. I have an aunt who's had it for years. In fact, I quit my last job ten years ago after working two weeks because of it, so I'll take backpay from then." Even if you paid an attorney to say it for you, you'd not get far at all. i think you are looking at these websites for attorneys and you are seeing what they say about taking cases to help people apply for SSDI, in which backpay can be a very big factor.

When you begin the application process for Social Security Disabilty the first question is something like, 'List every doctor you have ever seen for this condition and the dates you have seen them." And then there's "List everywhere you have worked and the dates you worked there." For many people completing this information is really detailed and complicated and difficult. That's the reason they need to hire an attorney. For Supplemental Security (SSI) there is no negotiation of the amount of money you'll be getting if approved. It's not like a car wreck lawsuit or something.

Incidentally, you were not legally able to make decisions about your own schooling and mental health and most anything else at that age when you quit school, so your mother was criminally negligent in not forcing you to obtain education or treatment for your depression.

And it doesn't sound as though all this free time without treatment since then has improved your maturity or mental state a bit. Reality is going to be very hard for you to accept. And the government program people,( I know, I know, you don't want on a helping program, you just want the government to give you money without you having to violate any of your wants and preferences) but they're not going to be scared and sympathetic and driven like your mother and your girlfriend are by your threats to end it all if you don't get things to work as you want them to. Incidentally, has your girlfriend ever had any type of mental health counseling?

I have had experience with certifying many people up for these types of programs. And have had some tell me that their not being approved was going to precipitate their suicide, and that their blood would be upon my hands, personally. I never quite saw it that way.

The government guidelines for these income based programs are very concrete, and you either are or are not going to qualify. What do you have to lose by applying, instead of sitting around trying to get someone on-line to tell you what you want to hear when reality is not that way?

But then, until you do have some sort of medical history, there really isn't any point in applying. As someone pointed out, there are free clinics around if you can't bear the idea that your mother would have to pay for your treatment. But until you can move past your reluctance to obtain treatment, you're not ever going to be able to qualify for SSI, not matter what your other circumstances.

Last edited:

Onderzoek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have 5 main questions:
1) Does the state I'm applying for SSI in have any effect on how much money I would receive per month?
3) Would owning my own place have any effect on how much I receive a month? If so, positive or negative?
4) If I hire a lawyer, is he/she going to be able to get me more money a month than if I went it alone? From research online, it seems as though 600-900/mo is typical. I don't know how anyone can live on 600 a month; I don't need a nice home, but I need to be able to live on my own and stop burdening my mother. Is it more likely that my lawyer can get me closer to the 900 figure, or does the presence of a lawyer usually just mean less leg work for me to do?
5) Does getting on SSI automatically get me Medicaid benefits? I currently have no health insurance and have a ton of health problems I've been letting go and not telling anyone about because I don't want to be a burden. My mom has hardly any money as it is, I will not have her pay for my medical bills, I would rather die.

Extra question now that I think of it, should I tell my lawyer/psychiatrist(when I get one) that I am suicidal? I don't want to be put into an institution. I would rather be dead, honestly.

Thanks in advance for anyone that is willing to help me, it would mean more to me than you know. I am really desperate to not feel like a burden anymore. I really don't want to die. Thank you for reading my post.
1. Yes. There is a federal benefit but states can choose to add to it.
2. Yes. There is a formula that SSI uses to determine how much of her income affects you. SSI can call her your spouse even if you are not legally married. $40K per year would probably put you over the income limit.
3. What would matter would be if you were able to pay for it with the money you have or would you be getting help. Generally, renters do not get more or less money than homeowners. Getting help from others can reduce SSI.
4. A lawyer cannot change the amount of SSI paid by your state. A lawyer assists you in qualifying for any benefits and has almost nothing to do with the amount.
5. In some states yes. In other states no.

6. You should tell your treating doctor all of your symptoms. Helps the doctor diagnose and treat you.

It is hard to qualify with a diagnosis by a treating doctor. It is even harder to qualify without the diagnosis. SSA may send you for an exam, with a doctor who has never seen you before, who will spend 1/2 hour or an hour giving you an exam and the entire decision will be based on that snapshot. It is difficult to determine a severe psychiatric illness in one exam and it is almost impossible to demonstrate that it has been severe for 12 months from that one exam.

Qualifying for SSI will provide you with enough income for a low income lifestyle. And SSI is the supplement to any other income you might have. SSI is reduced if you have other income sources. You cannot supplement the SSI.

If you do become entitled to SSI, you will be required to report information about your income, resources and living arrangements for as long as you get SSI because those things can change your SSI payment and eligibility. The Social Security Administration also gets information that the IRS can find out about you - and that is pretty much anything. As part of the application process, you agree that SSA can check your bank account balances for as long as you are on SSI.

File a claim. Start online, but you will need to finish it with an SSA employee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">