• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem changing my name with The SS Administration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emsauntj2002

emsauntj2002

Obviously, I didn't post the first time correctly. I apparently didn't change my name with SS 32 years ago when I got married. Now MD DMV will not let me renew my DL (which expired) until SS updates my name change. SS Will not update my name change without a current photo id (license,passport or military id). I need my license desperately and I am sent from DMV to SS and from SS to DMV (each saying there is nothinh they can do). Is there ANY way that I can EVER resolve this? Or am I jusy out of a license and SS benefits pd?

Just Blue

Obviously, I didn't post the first time correctly. I apparently didn't change my name with SS 32 years ago when I got married. Now MD DMV will not let me renew my DL (which expired) until SS updates my name change. SS Will not update my name change without a current photo id (license,passport or military id). I need my license desperately and I am sent from DMV to SS and from SS to DMV (each saying there is nothinh they can do). Is there ANY way that I can EVER resolve this? Or am I jusy out of a license and SS benefits pd?
Can you use your last DL for SS name change? :confused:

Just Blue

Unfortunately no as it is expired. Even though the photo is CLEARLY me,
Ahhh...Catch 22 situation. Always "fun". :(

See if you can get a consult with an attorney ...Many offer a quick consult for free. There are a couple that post here regularly...I will ask one to take a look at your thread.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Zigner, A passport requires same proof of identity. A current license. But thank you for trying
You're wrong - the license doesn't HAVE to be current -there are ways around it. I already checked it out before posting, but I suggest that you research it a bit more so that you understand the process.

emsauntj2002

You're wrong - the license doesn't HAVE to be current -there are ways around it. I already checked it out before posting, but I suggest that you research it a bit more so that you understand the process.
Zigner, I apologize if I spoke incorrectly. I will research more. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Zigner, I apologize if I spoke incorrectly. I will research more. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Here's some good info...

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/secondary-evidence1.html

Dave1952

Your local Congressman has folks who may light a fire under the feet of the SS workers. Give them a call. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">