+ Reply to Thread
    kwhit14613 is offline Junior Member

Proper use of childs SSI benefits

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York Can a disabled child under the age of 18 benefits be used to pay rent for an apartment that is occupied by him (6), his mother (who is also the representative payee), his sibling (7), and his mothers boyfriend (who does not work). I have read that only his pro rata share of the rent can be paid from his benefit**************....thank you
    Last edited by kwhit14613; 01-30-2011 at 07:29 PM.
    BL
    BL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhit14613 View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York Can a disabled child under the age of 18 benefits be used to pay rent for an apartment that is occupied by him (6), his mother (who is also the representative payee), his sibling (7), and his mothers boyfriend (who does not work). I have read that only his pro rata share of the rent can be paid from his benefit**************....thank you
    Who are you in respect to this posting ?
    I am the childs paternal grandmother**************
    BL
    I am the childs paternal grandmother**************
    You have made no mention if the mother works , or receiving State Aid and if so what types .

FYI .

SSI is a form of benefits for the support of the child .

Since the child's mother is payee and the child resides with her , she can use the child's benefits to keep a roof over head ,food,clothing ,etc .

I don't know where you get a limit of 1/3 toward housing ?
    She does work and receives child support. My grandson who is severely autistic (non-verbal) does attend a local center for disabled children on a daily basis...I think it is a state-run facility but I'm not sure....regarding the 1/3 share I think I read that when it comes to back-pay...I know there are different rules for that......Im sure social security does not know there is another person in household(freeloading boyfriend) and she receives child support and I'm certainly not going to report it....I guess the whold thing boils down to the fact that this freeloader is being provided a roof over his head with my grandsons money...and she allows that to happen......thank you for your help
    Proserpina is offline Senior Member
    She does work and receives child support. My grandson who is severely autistic (non-verbal) does attend a local center for disabled children on a daily basis...I think it is a state-run facility but I'm not sure....regarding the 1/3 share I think I read that when it comes to back-pay...I know there are different rules for that......Im sure social security does not know there is another person in household(freeloading boyfriend) and she receives child support and I'm certainly not going to report it....I guess the whold thing boils down to the fact that this freeloader is being provided a roof over his head with my grandsons money...and she allows that to happen......thank you for your help

It's really her business.
    swrdmbo is offline Member
    How do you figure it is with your "grandson's money" ? You said she works, and gets child support. I don't know how you can figure out which of who's money goes to pay what.

Disability does not care if there is a boyfriend that lives there. It really is NONE of your business!

Why don't you put your efforts into helping with your grandson and what HE needs ( things that don't cost money) like love and affection. That would be a very productive way of channeling your concern.
    applecruncher is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up

Why don't you put your efforts into helping with your grandson and what HE needs ( things that don't cost money) like love and affection. That would be a very productive way of channeling your concern.
    Great advice. OP, making trouble for your grandson's mother will not help your relationship with him.
    I would like to thank you all for your comments but there is more to the situation than I wish to share with you....thanks again for your arrogant and judgmental comments they have made me wake up and ask myself why I even bothered with this website.....always treated the same way.....
    BL
    I would like to thank you all for your comments but there is more to the situation than I wish to share with you....thanks again for your arrogant and judgmental comments they have made me wake up and ask myself why I even bothered with this website.....always treated the same way.....
    From a legal standpoint the responses are correct .

Some replies may seem harsh .

Non the less they are legal facts .

If you believe some responses are harsh here , you should sit in some family Court hearing and listen to what some Judges dish out .

The issue is one of emotions by Adult parties have no bearing on legal issues .