• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Putting my social security check in my name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AppleBlossem5

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am a teenager (17) living out side of my mothers home, due to domestic problems. I currently work a part-time job and go to school full time. I recieve a social security check every month because of my fathers head injury. The check is still sent to my mothers house and I would like to get it put into my name ,because the part time job is not coming close to providing my needs. I really don't want to drop out of high school this close to graduating so I can support myself. Especially with a two year full scholarship waiting for me.

How do I go about doing this?

BL

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am a teenager (17) living out side of my mothers home, due to domestic problems. I currently work a part-time job and go to school full time. I recieve a social security check every month because of my fathers head injury. The check is still sent to my mothers house and I would like to get it put into my name ,because the part time job is not coming close to providing my needs. I really don't want to drop out of high school this close to graduating so I can support myself. Especially with a two year full scholarship waiting for me.

Contact Social Security Office near you .

My girlfriend's son was living outside the home receiving checks in his name on SSI when 17 .

Be aware though , when you're 18 these benefits may end .

JETX

First thing... don't.

In order to do what you are trying to do, you would have to have a court order of your emancipation.... after all, you are still a minor.
And then if you were emancipated (or even if the SSA found out you were no longer living there), the SSI would very likely stop as you would no longer be eligible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">