• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on Representative Payees.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NGens

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Hello, I am disabled (Mental disability), currently recieving SSDI. I cannot afford to live where I am now, and am in need to move across the country away from my representative payee. She is my mother, the only one I trust to take care of these things, and I requested a representative payee in the first place.

This is how it happened: I was asked 'Do you want a representative payee?' and I said yes.

Now, my mom is disabled too, she's terminally ill, she doesn't have long for this world. We also can't afford to go to a psychiatrist (even on medicare) so I won't see a psychiatrist since earning SSDI, for another two months. For the past year almost, I have been training and training on budgeting and finances myself. Both myself and my mother agree that I can take care of my finances now, and if I get on medication, should be able to work to boot.

My questions are thus: My representative payee was at my request, they say 'Do you want a representative Payee?' I said yes and pointed to my mother. How do I reverse this after 2 years? Did I just throw myself in a pit of bureacracy that I won't escape without a teethpulling-equivalent of an adventure in legal problems and trying to get to a doctor that I can't afford?

Keep in mind, I am trying to move across country specifically so that I can afford to go to a psychiatrist and pay for my own medical treatment. My mom is also dying, and I need to be able to handle my own money.

What will it take to have my mom dismissed as a representative payee and for me to handle my own finances, seeing as it was voluntary, or did voluntarily requesting a payee trap me into involuntarily having a representative payee?

Further clarification: I have never had a problem taking care of my own money, nothing in my medical reports would contend that statement. I have a fear of alcohal and drugs so am not a substance abuser.

I am schizo-effective.

One of my Social Security letter says: As <NAME> requested, beginning august 2007 any social security payments will be sent to the financial institution he selected. (In otherwards, even the first sentence in the first letter I got confirms it was voluntary.)

Last edited:

BL

Your mother , if willing can simply contact SSA and state she no longer wishes to be your rep. payee . At that time your mother can explain the situation and tell SSA that she believes you can manage your own money .

SSA will most likely have to send it to you anyways ( even if it's for a few months ) .

If your mother isn't prepared to be released as rep. payee at this time , you can request SSA to drop your mother as payee and send the payments directly to you .

If you even have a primary Dr. at this time , you can get a statement that you can handle your own money .

I hope you don't move away from your mother at this time .

Good luck .

What If I Believe I No Longer Need a Representative Payee?
You have the right to receive your own Social Security check unless SSA has reason to believe you may spend your money in a way that might hurt you.

If you have a representative payee because of a physical or a mental disability, in order to become your own payee, you must show SSA that you are now mentally and physically able to handle your money yourself. You could provide:

A doctor's statement that there has been a change in your condition and that the doctor believes you are able to care for yourself; or

An official copy of a court order saying that the court believes that you can take care of yourself; or

Other evidence that shows your ability to take care of yourself.
Note: Be advised that if SSA believes your condition has improved to the point that you no longer need a payee, we may reevaluate your eligibility for benefits.

What If I Disagree With SSA's Decisions?
You have the right to appeal either the decision that you need a representative payee, or the person or organization SSA has chosen as your representative payee. You have 60 days to appeal a decision by contacting SSA. Please contact your local Social Security office or call us at 1-800-772-1213 for more information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">