• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Receiving a 1099 while on SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justmenow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UT

Hello. In June I was awarded permanent SSDI (which included back pay for the past 2 years) for a back injury.

My question deals with employment income while on SSDI. For the majority of 2008, I worked on an extremely part-time basis (part time no more than 5 days/month) for a friend. I was willing to help her out for free, but she decided she wanted to pay me, so I agreed. She came to me last week and told me she needed to file a 1099 because I received more than $600. When I first agreed to work for her, we thought I wouldn't make enough to exceed the $600 that the IRS allows you to pay without filing a 1099, so we didn't worry about any of this, but along the way we lost track of how much was actually accrued. I made a total of about $1500 in 2008, so she needs to issue a 1099 for that amount.

My question is whether or not this will be kosher with the SSDI people. I didn't have pre-approval to have this "job," mostly because I didn't consider it really a job and was just helping out a friend. I also didn't report a "return to work" or anything like that for the same reason. This is obviously not an amount of money that is significant or that anyone could reasonably live on. My question is basically whether or not SSDI would be able to terminate my permanent disability benefits if they see the 1099 and consider that as proof that I was working. I obviously did not work very much if I only made $1500, but I am still paranoid about losing my permanent benefits for such a small amount of money, so I wanted to be sure what I was up against. I also receive a W-2 from an old job, because they pay me benefits from a private disability program I paid in to while I worked for them.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">