• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rep.Payee change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Alabama

From what I have read in the SSA literature. when there is a change of representative payee, the previous rep.payee must return any benefits (or possibly anything bought for beneficiary with benefits) to the SSA and they reissue it. How would one know if this has occured? What should one do if it hasn't occured?

Any applicable advice would be appreciated.

BL

joybelle5445 said:

From what I have read in the SSA literature. when there is a change of representative payee, the previous rep.payee must return any benefits (or possibly anything bought for beneficiary with benefits) to the SSA and they reissue it. How would one know if this has occured? What should one do if it hasn't occured?

I responded but lost my reply , and I'm not typing it over again .

Simple call your nearest SSA Office and inquire , or go there in person .

acmb05

They are

joybelle5445 said:

Only required to return any monies received after the change went into affect.

BL

acmb05 said:
Only required to return any monies received after the change went into affect.
NOT true ... There may be funds remaining in the recipients Account , or held by the payee for the recipient , unused or saved .

Those amounts ARE the recipients , not the payees.

I'll see if this reply disappears on me .

First you would request SSA to discontinue you Duties as the beneficiary's Payee .

Once SSA officially terminates you as payee , you would be required return any unused ( remaining ) funds belonging to the beneficiary to SSA .

You are stating SSA also would require you to return any belongings to SSA .

The Fact is you as payee are suppose to keep a log of the expenditures of and for the beneficiary , so technically what you have purchased for the beneficiary IE: Walkmans , stereo , TV ., Etc is already the beneficiary's , that obviously would stay with the recipient .

Any other monies or monetary assets the recipient has , you must return it to SSA .

If there is separate bank account for the recipient , you would close it out.

You would get a letter relieving you as payee .

Again call SSA to find out the details of returning any unused funds of the recipient .

The recipient would also receive a letter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">