• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repaying an SSI Overpayment Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tracy2009

Texas

I am curently re-paying an over payment from SSI. It amounts to 10%
of my SSI.It will take about 4 yrs to repay this debt. The debt is slightly
over $5000.00.
Note: I am also receiving Social Security benefits and am 65 yrs old.
The Social Security benfits cannot be used to collect the debt.

1. If I decide to leave the U.S for as example 6 mos, we are required by law to tell
Social Security so they then stop the SSI payments until we return. I understand this.

1.Given the above scenario, if I leave the country for awhile, can I have the entire monthy
SSI (normally paid to me which amounts to about $400/month)- apply towards the debt until my return?

or, do the SSI payments cease auomatically upon exiting the U.S,
while the debt remains unpaid until my return to U.S

Advice Needed.
Thank you

LdiJ

Texas

over $5000.00.

1. If I decide to leave the U.S for as example 6 mos, we are required by law to tell
Social Security so they then stop the SSI payments until we return. I understand this

1.Given the above scenario, if I leave the country for awhile, can I have the entire monthy
SSI (normally paid to me which amounts to about $400/month)- apply towards the debt until my return?

Advice Needed.
Thank you
You need to make an appointment with your local social security office. The issues are pretty complex when you are abroad.

Isis1

heavens to betsy.

once you leave the US, you are entitled to $0 of the benefits. there is no $400 to be applied. your debt resumes upon being eligible again.

have you applied for a waiver?

LdiJ

heavens to betsy.

once you leave the US, you are entitled to $0 of the benefits. there is no $400 to be applied. your debt resumes upon being eligible again.

have you applied for a waiver?
I did some quick research and its not quite that simple. In fact is appears complex enough that I didn't want to give any kind of answer other than to get an appointment with a local SS office.

tracy2009

I did some quick research and its not quite that simple. In fact is appears complex enough that I didn't want to give any kind of answer other than to get an appointment with a local SS office.
e

When initially confronted with this overpayment situation I was signed a paper asking for a "review". The social worker said only to say the reason is "I do not agree", but was not allowed to say why.

This not the same thing as a wavier. Can someone tell me what the grounds would be for applying for
a wavier at this stage one year or so into repaying the debt?
I will need to talk to someone at SSA about this. Thank you

Onderzoek

Texas

over $5000.00.

Social Security so they then stop the SSI payments until we return. I understand this.

Advice Needed.
Thank you
S.S.I. stops when you leave the U.S. so there is nothing to collect from. When that happens recovery can be switched to your Social Security benefit. Even if you don't agree. They will also want to know how you can afford overseas travel. And S.S.I. Will not resume until you are back for 30 days. Save your boarding passes and the receipt for the airfare.

To have the overpayment waived you have to establish that you are not at fault in connection with the overpayment. I am guessing you went months without reporting something important. You would complete a form 632. A decision will be made. There will be no refund of money already paid back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">