• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Representative Payee: Designating New One for Individual with Mental Health Disorder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tialloydragon

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hello. Is anyone here familiar with the process involved in the removal of the rep payee of an individual with a mental health disorder and/or the designation of a new one without the current representative's consent? This action is intended to be in the best interest of the individual, and in response to past negligent actions and current withholdng of information by the rep payee regarding past use and present status of SSI funding.

I know one step is to take the individual to his doctor who will then determine if the individual is of sufficient sound mind to make the decision to handle his own money or designate a new representative.

Where do I go from there?

Thank you very much for your help.

BL

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hello. Is anyone here familiar with the process involved in the removal of the rep payee of an individual with a mental health disorder and/or the designation of a new one without the current representative's consent? This action is intended to be in the best interest of the individual, and in response to past negligent actions and current withholdng of information by the rep payee regarding past use and present status of SSI funding.

I know one step is to take the individual to his doctor who will then determine if the individual is of sufficient sound mind to make the decision to handle his own money or designate a new representative.

Where do I go from there?

Thank you very much for your help.
The recipient can request a change of rep. payee .

SSA will determine if it's necessary , and if the person if the person they want to be the payee would qualify in the recipient's best interest and preform a payee's duties .

I have seen it happen , where a recipient went from having a payee , to not having one .

Although they still have some trouble with it .

http://www.ssa.gov/payee/faqbene.htm

nithya

Representative Payee

Although most people who receive and manage Social Security benefits on behalf of other individuals are performing their duties well, the Social Security Administration's Representative payee program should take steps to better prevent and detect the misuse of funds, says a new report from the National Research Council.
-------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

BL

Although most people who receive and manage Social Security benefits on behalf of other individuals are performing their duties well, the Social Security Administration's Representative payee program should take steps to better prevent and detect the misuse of funds, says a new report from the National Research Council.
-------------------
So says you ..

There are many recipients , that misuse there own funds .

Do you also have statistics on that as well .

You comments have nothing to do with the question posted .

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">