• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resignation prior to filing claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carlucci

Kentucky

Two years ago I was in an automobile accident that shattered my leg at the knee (surgery, metal braces inserted etc). I was initially off work for 10 months. I have been a server my entire life but no question that's off the table now.

I tried returning to work with another company in a position that required less walking but still requires me to be on my feed constantly. My Dr has said (on record) that I shouldn't be on my feed more than 2 hours per day and lift no more than 10lbs. The pain is getting worse and worse, in short it's just become impossible for me to keep working so I need to apply for SSDI.

My immediate manager knows I am in constant and often severe pain but I have not discussed this officially with HR.

I should also mention I am 55.

My questions-

- Does it effect my SSDI claim if I just resign? Or should I give my employer the reason?

- I am also wondering if I need (or should) give my employer the chance to find a job that accommodates my disability? I'm quite certain this would just be a formality as I work for a small food services company that really has no sedentary positions that I would be qualified for.

I feel my claim is well supported by the facts (doctor, vocational therapist et al) but I just want to be sure I do everything right.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You know, if you would answer the questions I asked when you posted this (twice) on the other forum, I'd be happy to answer.

BL

Kentucky

Two years ago I was in an automobile accident that shattered my leg at the knee (surgery, metal braces inserted etc). I was initially off work for 10 months. I have been a server my entire life but no question that's off the table now.

I tried returning to work with another company in a position that required less walking but still requires me to be on my feed constantly. My Dr has said (on record) that I shouldn't be on my feed more than 2 hours per day and lift no more than 10lbs. The pain is getting worse and worse, in short it's just become impossible for me to keep working so I need to apply for SSDI.

My immediate manager knows I am in constant and often severe pain but I have not discussed this officially with HR.

I should also mention I am 55.

My questions-

- Does it effect my SSDI claim if I just resign? Or should I give my employer the reason?

- I am also wondering if I need (or should) give my employer the chance to find a job that accommodates my disability? I'm quite certain this would just be a formality as I work for a small food services company that really has no sedentary positions that I would be qualified for.

I feel my claim is well supported by the facts (doctor, vocational therapist et al) but I just want to be sure I do everything right.
If you can not lift more that 10 with the other combinations , you can file.

SSA will most likely send you to a Dr. of their choosing to evaluate you .

As long as you are still employed working as you are ,do not expect a favorable decision.

Additionally , if you chose to resign, quit, whatever and apply ,it's long process and if initially denied , you'll have to appeal.

Better to speak to an SSI disability Lawyer to see if they'd take on your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">