• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retro Checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ptrcmcc6

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I have a question about the father of my children's retro check. He lives with me and became disabled as of Jan. '04 when he had his heart attack. After being denied twice, we went before an ALJ on 11/04/05 and he was approved to receive SSI/SSDI. We received a copy of the approval letter and then about 2 weeks ago, we received a letter from SSDI telling him what his benefits will be each month and the amount of retro SSDI owes them. I spoke with the woman at our local SS office, via telephone, and she had explained to me when he was approved for SSDI, he in turn was also approved for SSI as a result of the hearing. She had then told me she had only handled the SSDI portion of his claim and that I should have heard from the person who handled the SSI portion of his claim already. Anyway, to try to make a long story short.....the way I understood how the retro check will be dispursed is, SSI will pay back any retro money from the Date of Disablity and then, after he receives a lump sum from them, SSDI will pay the balance to equal the amount which they have as a back sum. In other words, let's say SSDI calculated a figure of $10,000.00 in retro fees and SSI sends him a retro check for $5,000.00. I'm assuming SSDI will deduct the $5,000.00 from their $10,000.00 amount and send him an additional check for $5,000.00? Is this correct? Also, for the past 2 years while waiting for this, he has been on charity care. Will charity care keep his retro check to pay for his medical expenses or will medicaid cover his medical expenses being as he technically qualifies for SSI for the first 5 months of his disability?

Also, while i have your attention....lol, the woman I spoke to also told me that our children qualify for benefits and gave me an amount of retro check for them. Will they receive that check now or does that come to them when they turn 18 years old?

Sorry for such a long post and thank you to anyone who can answer my questions?

Ptrcmcc6

BL

Ptrcmcc6 said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I have a question about the father of my children's retro check. He lives with me and became disabled as of Jan. '04 when he had his heart attack. After being denied twice, we went before an ALJ on 11/04/05 and he was approved to receive SSI/SSDI. We received a copy of the approval letter and then about 2 weeks ago, we received a letter from SSDI telling him what his benefits will be each month and the amount of retro SSDI owes them. I spoke with the woman at our local SS office, via telephone, and she had explained to me when he was approved for SSDI, he in turn was also approved for SSI as a result of the hearing. She had then told me she had only handled the SSDI portion of his claim and that I should have heard from the person who handled the SSI portion of his claim already. Anyway, to try to make a long story short.....the way I understood how the retro check will be dispursed is, SSI will pay back any retro money from the Date of Disablity and then, after he receives a lump sum from them, SSDI will pay the balance to equal the amount which they have as a back sum. In other words, let's say SSDI calculated a figure of $10,000.00 in retro fees and SSI sends him a retro check for $5,000.00. I'm assuming SSDI will deduct the $5,000.00 from their $10,000.00 amount and send him an additional check for $5,000.00? Is this correct? Also, for the past 2 years while waiting for this, he has been on charity care. Will charity care keep his retro check to pay for his medical expenses or will medicaid cover his medical expenses being as he technically qualifies for SSI for the first 5 months of his disability?

Also, while i have your attention....lol, the woman I spoke to also told me that our children qualify for benefits and gave me an amount of retro check for them. Will they receive that check now or does that come to them when they turn 18 years old?

Sorry for such a long post and thank you to anyone who can answer my questions?

Ptrcmcc6
Let me see If I can explain this in Simple terms .

He qualifies for SSDI ( from work history ) .

Depending on the SSDI amount , he may receive SSI ( supplemental ) . To make up the difference of what he is allowed .

They will come in two separate checks , or direct deposits each month .

Retro pays will be calculated and sent also for SSDI ,SSI,and the children benifits .

The children will be eligible for benefits from the date the Father was , each month , until age 18 , or emancipated . Those checks will not come in the children's names are are meant for support given by the Parents/guardian .

Ptrcmcc6

Thank you for your quick reply. I have one more question before I end this though. Today I received the retro check for our youngest son. My older son does not have his name on the birth certificate so SS will not be able to include him until after we establish paternity and his name is added to the BC. My question is.....will they both receive the same amount once he is established as the father for my oldest or will the amount that my youngest is receiving now be divided between the two. If the latter, will I have to send half the retro check back to SS so they can issue a separate check in my oldest son's name? This is all so confusing.

Ptrcmcc6

P.S. And thank you for clarifying that this money is to be used for my son's expenses. Their father seems to think it's their money to do what they want with it. He seems to think that I would have to support them anyway whether they got this check or not. I told him "yeah, i would have to support them but now I don't have to go out and get 3 jobs to do this. That money is there to help with clothing, food, and shelter for them! It is not a $500.00 a month allowance for them to do what they want with it!!" Although, I did open a savings account in his name and do not intend on using the money unless it is absolutely necessary.

BL

I honestly can't tell you that once paternity is established for the other child , the SSA would pay retroactive for that child , you'd have to call them on that one .

Edit: No , because the one child would be receiving the full amount .

I can tell you , if there is More than one eligible child the amount is split equal for all them . Them when one is no longer eligible , it's split again.

Any SSA benefits that the children may receive , might be calculated toward child support , in a Child Custody case , therefore these benefits are NOT the children's to do as they please with , as they are minors .

And NO, you wouldn't have to send any amount back . Most likely once established that monthly amount would then be split from that point on .

Last edited:

Ptrcmcc6

From what I've been reading in these threads, I honestly didn't think my older son would get a retro check once paternity is established. I kind of thought had their father's name been on both BC's, the retro check would have been split between the two and the monthly amounts would be divided also. To be fair to both of them, I think I will take half the monies out of my youngest son's account which I established today and put it into my oldest son's account. I just might have to wait for the official word from SSA once paternity is established just to appease their father though. He seems to be under the impression once paternity is established, our oldest son will receive the same benefits as our youngest is receiving now. I told him that I believe the benefits will be split between the two but he seems to think that is crazy. He says, "you mean if I had 6 kids, they would only get $75.00 each?? I don't think so!!" I told him that's how it works but he can't seem to get it into his head. I asked him if he honestly believed if he had 6 children that each one of them will be getting $500.00 each? That comes out to $3,000.00 a month and that would be just for the children!! People all over the country would be trying to become disabled on purpose just so they can sit back and collect money from the government!!

Well, again, thank your for all your knowledge. I sincerely appreciate it.

Ptrcmcc6

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">