• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retro Pay from SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

louv

MY brother had been approved for ssdi, he recieved a huge lump sum in back payments. i had been assigned as payee, and i am new to this. well when he first got the check, i had already cash it so he can go clothes shopping, i had not yet set up an bank account yet. my bro wanted to send a monetary gift to my other sibling to show his appreciation of all the years he had helped him when nobody else would. i thought that would be okay to do so, because i had thought that the retro pay was for him to go ahead and use for whatever he wanted within reason. so i had called SSDi to make sure that what i had did was okay under their rules. i had ask if when reporting on how his benfits are used was to include the lump sum and if sending a monetary gift to someone was ok. He inform me that the accounting of his benefits was to start with the lump sum. he said sending a monetary gift was ok to do. i had ask them how im supposed to document that, he said he dosnt really know, and to just list it as an expense! This guy works for SSDI and it seems hes not sure about what he is saying!

i had already set up an account, but i need to know was cashing the lump sum, and using it for his clothes and the monetary gift allowable under SSDI rules? and if not, would i penalized and or made to payback the cash that was already spent before i had established the bank account?

If it was improper to do so, would ssdi be so forgiving, as to me being a new payee? or would they want to hang me! i want to do the right thing.

applecruncher

You deleted this question from the beginning of your post:
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Are you SURE you brother receives SSDI? vs SSI

Why is your brother not able to open a bank account and communicate with SSA himself?

Why are you calling Social Security reporting what has been spent, etc. ?

louv

You deleted this question from the beginning of your post:
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Are you SURE you brother receives SSDI? vs SSI

Why is your brother not able to open a bank account and communicate with SSA himself?

Why are you calling Social Security reporting what has been spent, etc. ?
Hi, he is recieving ssdi. im the payee, im responsible for setting up the account for the beneficiary. hes not allowed to have direct access. i didnt call ssdi to report what was spent, i called them to see if sending a monetary gift to another sibling on his behalf was ok to do. i was told yes, and to maybe list it as an expense. i wanted another opinion or some elses experiance, to comfirm that what this ssdi worker said to me is correct, cause like i said before he seems like he was sure of himself.

BL

Hi, he is recieving ssdi. im the payee, im responsible for setting up the account for the beneficiary. hes not allowed to have direct access. i didnt call ssdi to report what was spent, i called them to see if sending a monetary gift to another sibling on his behalf was ok to do. i was told yes, and to maybe list it as an expense. i wanted another opinion or some elses experiance, to comfirm that what this ssdi worker said to me is correct, cause like i said before he seems like he was sure of himself.
You list it as the worker explained .

List it as miscellaneous .

Just how much were these Monetary gifts ?

Keep a log on paper either hand written or typed and printed .

The Date the amount was spent and what for . IE; Rent-cloths-etc .
Anything like Mcy Ds or pizza list as miscellaneous .

After the retro is used , keep a month by month log also .

Make sure you spend about $400.00 per year on clothing .

Account for every cent as payee FOR the recipient .

None of it is anyone Else's including you . ( unless of course the recipient lives with you and you charge rent and board ) . Then you log as rent, or rent and board .

Guides for Rep. payees:

http://www.ssa.gov/payee/newpubs.htm[/U]]Social Security Administration - Representative Payee Program - Publications

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">