• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Running a coproration while on SSD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michigan

I'm on SSD due to a chronic illness. I don't plan on being on SSD forever though, so I've been taking online classes in pursuit of a computer science degree. Getting back to work will be tricky in the best-case scenario, though, so I thought I might start off by doing some freelance work like website design.

Starting in 2012, you can receive pay up to $1000 a month without it effecting you SSD. The idea is to allow disabled people to work a little, or to work their way back into the workforce without leaving them to starve during the transition. If you're able to make over $1000 a month, you're not considered disabled, so you lose benefits.

Here's the problem: If I start trying to do freelance webdesign, or something similar, I'll not likely make anything close to $1000 per month, but I might receive more than $1000 in a given month.

For example, I'd be lucky to get three or four website design jobs per year. Doing so will take continuous work getting those jobs. Each job will take some number of weeks, 2-6 probably. But total payment for each job could be over $1000 and might appear all in one month, disqualifying me for benefits, even though my average income per month from doing this work will probably be half $1000, probably less.

Here's another example of what I mean. Imagine a worker who is paid $500 per month. If he's freelance, he might receive June's payment in July. July's payment might come on time. And August's payment might come early. So even thought he makes $500 per month, he received $1500 in June. That's what I'm worried about.

Here's a solution, and my question: Would there be any problems with me setting up a corporation to do this kind of work under? I could have payment rendered to the corporation, and have the corporation pay me a consistent wage.

LdiJ

Michigan

I'm on SSD due to a chronic illness. I don't plan on being on SSD forever though, so I've been taking online classes in pursuit of a computer science degree. Getting back to work will be tricky in the best-case scenario, though, so I thought I might start off by doing some freelance work like website design.

Starting in 2012, you can receive pay up to $1000 a month without it effecting you SSD. The idea is to allow disabled people to work a little, or to work their way back into the workforce without leaving them to starve during the transition. If you're able to make over $1000 a month, you're not considered disabled, so you lose benefits.

Here's the problem: If I start trying to do freelance webdesign, or something similar, I'll not likely make anything close to $1000 per month, but I might receive more than $1000 in a given month.

For example, I'd be lucky to get three or four website design jobs per year. Doing so will take continuous work getting those jobs. Each job will take some number of weeks, 2-6 probably. But total payment for each job could be over $1000 and might appear all in one month, disqualifying me for benefits, even though my average income per month from doing this work will probably be half $1000, probably less.

Here's another example of what I mean. Imagine a worker who is paid $500 per month. If he's freelance, he might receive June's payment in July. July's payment might come on time. And August's payment might come early. So even thought he makes $500 per month, he received $1500 in June. That's what I'm worried about.

Here's a solution, and my question: Would there be any problems with me setting up a corporation to do this kind of work under? I could have payment rendered to the corporation, and have the corporation pay me a consistent wage.
That would be a perfectly legitimate thing to do.

Onderzoek

Michigan

Read about self-employment and substantial gainful activity. There are many occupations that don't get paid a consistent salary even though the person works every day. As a self-employed person, you keep track of the amount of hours you put in on your work as well as the amount of money you make over the course of the self-employment activity.

But it is harder to keep track.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">