• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The sale of arts and crafts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AutumnSoleil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

How does the sale of arts and crafts effect my SSDI? I'm thinking of things along the line of selling art stuff like home made jewelry, paintings and photography. Is this kind of thing considered a job or a business and something I have to report to SSDI?

Thank you for your help.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

How does the sale of arts and crafts effect my SSDI? I'm thinking of things along the line of selling art stuff like home made jewelry, paintings and photography. Is this kind of thing considered a job or a business and something I have to report to SSDI?

Thank you for your help.
If you actually make a profit at it yes. You don't report the gross sales you report the actual profit..

Profit = sales prices minus materials cost minus expenses.

Most crafters don't make much of a profit, and often have losses, which is why the IRS tends to classify those as hobbies.

AutumnSoleil

If you actually make a profit at it yes. You don't report the gross sales you report the actual profit..

Profit = sales prices minus materials cost minus expenses.

Most crafters don't make much of a profit, and often have losses, which is why the IRS tends to classify those as hobbies.
So it's not necessary to report this kind of thing?

Onderzoek

So it's not necessary to report this kind of thing?
If you make a profit, you would be in business. You need to keep track of the expenses (raw materials) used in a year's time and the actual receipts for the products you sell. The difference is your profit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">