• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short Term Disability Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

David7755

What is the name of your state? Texas

This is all new to me so please bear with me:

I'm posting this on behalf of my wife's brother who doesen't have access to the internet.

My brother in law fell at home a couple of months ago and began to experience pain in his hip joint. He saw a chiropractor who took front, side, and back preliminary X-Rays and found nothing abnormal. He then continued to see the chiropractor for approximately six weeks with no improvement. The chiropractor then decided to take an X-Ray of the hip area where the pain was centered and noticed a hairline fracture. She referred him to a surgeon that ordered he not return to work until he undergoes hip surgery to replace his hip joint.

The suregeons office is currently reviewing his medical insurance and if everthing checks out will proceed with the surgery in the near future.

My brother in law wants to find out if ther is any Federal or State help for someone in his postion. I don't beleive he has any kind of disability insurance. I went to the Social Security website and used their "disability screening tool" to try to discover if he was eligible for any SS benefits, but the screening tool said his disability must be of at least a years duration to receive benefits. The suregeon said if the surgery proceeds, my brother in law can expect to be out of work for 3 to 6 months. Is there any help for someone in this position? Could he qualify for unemployment benefits or any kind of disability?

Thanks for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">