• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I report SSI Fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaywhisenhunt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I want to report a known SSI Disability fraud, but am concerned about the consequences for reporting. "Jane Doe" is known by her circle of friends and family to receive 100% disability benefits fromm SSI for mental problems. Jane Doe has been receiving these benefits for > 5 years. However, two weeks ago, she testified under oath in a trial unrelated to SSI that she has no mental health issues of any kind. She testified that she takes no psychiatric medications and does not seek or need any treatment from mental health professionals whatsoever. Jane Doe's payee also testified that Jane "has no mental health issues, and in fact has not had any emotional stress or anxiety in over three years." Jane Doe also brought in a Licensed clinical social worker to say that Jane does not currently take nor has she needed any kind of Psych medications or therapy in "more than three years."
As you may have figured, Jane Doe has made false allegations in a attempt to gain custody of a child that she lost custody of in 2001 due to desertion and making false statements to police. It is also noteable that Jane enjoys $1,600.00 for child support for only one child, has two part-time jobs, and a six-figure bank account. I am absolutely certain of this because I am a family member who has been consulted in the past concerning Jane's personal business. I have called the SSI hotline to try to report this, but can never get through on the phone. Too, I filled out an online complaint form with an account of the alleged offense, but no one has contacted me further. I do not currently have Jane's SSN but could get it if the feds are interested in investigating this. I also offered to try to get the trial case number and/or transcript to prove that I am telling the truth. Question: Could I get in any kind of legal trouble for covertly obtaining Jane's SSN and trial information? Too, is it illegal to divulge someone's personal financial issues to the feds without permission? I would love to see justice done in this case because Jane Doe is a known swindler and hustler of sorts and needs to be stopped. Please advise.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I want to report a known SSI Disability fraud, but am concerned about the consequences for reporting. "Jane Doe" is known by her circle of friends and family to receive 100% disability benefits fromm SSI for mental problems. Jane Doe has been receiving these benefits for > 5 years. However, two weeks ago, she testified under oath in a trial unrelated to SSI that she has no mental health issues of any kind. She testified that she takes no psychiatric medications and does not seek or need any treatment from mental health professionals whatsoever. Jane Doe's payee also testified that Jane "has no mental health issues, and in fact has not had any emotional stress or anxiety in over three years." Jane Doe also brought in a Licensed clinical social worker to say that Jane does not currently take nor has she needed any kind of Psych medications or therapy in "more than three years."
As you may have figured, Jane Doe has made false allegations in a attempt to gain custody of a child that she lost custody of in 2001 due to desertion and making false statements to police. It is also noteable that Jane enjoys $1,600.00 for child support for only one child, has two part-time jobs, and a six-figure bank account. I am absolutely certain of this because I am a family member who has been consulted in the past concerning Jane's personal business. I have called the SSI hotline to try to report this, but can never get through on the phone. Too, I filled out an online complaint form with an account of the alleged offense, but no one has contacted me further. I do not currently have Jane's SSN but could get it if the feds are interested in investigating this. I also offered to try to get the trial case number and/or transcript to prove that I am telling the truth. Question: Could I get in any kind of legal trouble for covertly obtaining Jane's SSN and trial information? Too, is it illegal to divulge someone's personal financial issues to the feds without permission? I would love to see justice done in this case because Jane Doe is a known swindler and hustler of sorts and needs to be stopped. Please advise.
it's always good to report any fraud of any kind. however, what if she was only lying under oath? and she actually does have a legit mental health issue?

are you hoping mom will lose custody? are you dad's new wife/girlfriend?

BL

You don't know the whole scoop on qualifications for different kinds of mental disabilities ,do you ?

Those testimonies may well be the truth at this time and in the past 3 years .

It may NOT rule out her entitlement for disability .

Also , unless you can get any info. from the freedom of information act, I'd suggest you not mettle .

I suggest it anyways .

kaywhisenhunt

Thanks for your reply. I am absolutely not the father's wife/girlfriend. To be honest I do not want to see Jane Doe receive custody of the child because Jane is not fit on moral, legal, or emotional grounds. Jane has made it clear to some friends and family that this is about money, actually saying that once she got custody of the child, she "will go after (the father's) business." When Jane originally lost custody in 2001, she did not even respond to the father's filing. She really and truly did not even hire a lawyer or show up to court, so custody was, of course, awarded to the father. There is little doubt that Jane Doe is not normal, but that is really not the point. She has refused to abide by the rules set forth by SSI to be followed at least every three months by a mental health professional while receiving benefits. Jane actually brought a therapist to court to testify that Jane does not need any kind of mental health treatment because she is not mentally ill. This seems to be fraud on it's face to me. Thoughts?

BL

Thanks for your reply. I am absolutely not the father's wife/girlfriend. To be honest I do not want to see Jane Doe receive custody of the child because Jane is not fit on moral, legal, or emotional grounds. Jane has made it clear to some friends and family that this is about money, actually saying that once she got custody of the child, she "will go after (the father's) business." When Jane originally lost custody in 2001, she did not even respond to the father's filing. She really and truly did not even hire a lawyer or show up to court, so custody was, of course, awarded to the father. There is little doubt that Jane Doe is not normal, but that is really not the point. She has refused to abide by the rules set forth by SSI to be followed at least every three months by a mental health professional while receiving benefits. Jane actually brought a therapist to court to testify that Jane does not need any kind of mental health treatment because she is not mentally ill. This seems to be fraud on it's face to me. Thoughts?
MYOB . That's my thoughts . You're an outsider that is bias.

kaywhisenhunt

Thanks for your candid advice. It is true that I do not know all the mental health requirements to receive SSI benefits. What I do know is that Jane Doe is gainfully employeed, owns her own home, drives a Lexus that is paid for, and literally has six-figures in the bank. According to the SSI Disability website, a person who has greater than $2,000.00 in cash assets most likely will not qualify for the benefits. It is also very specific about the continuity of being followed by mental health professionals to facilitate the claimant's successful re-integration into the working community so that he/she can get off of SSI disability. Jane Doe is clearly in violation of these requirements.

Isis1

Thanks for your candid advice. It is true that I do not know all the mental health requirements to receive SSI benefits. What I do know is that Jane Doe is gainfully employeed, owns her own home, drives a Lexus that is paid for, and literally has six-figures in the bank. According to the SSI Disability website, a person who has greater than $2,000.00 in cash assets most likely will not qualify for the benefits. It is also very specific about the continuity of being followed by mental health professionals to facilitate the claimant's successful re-integration into the working community so that he/she can get off of SSI disability. Jane Doe is clearly in violation of these requirements.
are you aware of the difficulty in scamming the SSA?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Quite likely not. And, how do you...the total outsider...have ANY information relating to this lady's bank balances? :rolleyes:

kaywhisenhunt

In response to the inquiry concerning the difficulty of scamming the SSA, I have no experience in this area whatsoever. In regards to the inquiry of how I know Jane Doe's bank account, it is a matter of public record now since the trial happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">