• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

So Confused...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aalienlady

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Ok - so I really have not been able to work since 1999.

I have had injuries from several Auto Accidents and several Serious Slip and Falls.
I can't sit for any length of time - I cannot stand for even 5 minutes in one place, I can't walk any distance... shopping is a killer.

With all my back problems (Herniated Disks and Bulging Disks and Osteo-arthritis and other disk degenerative disease and so forth... I do not qualify for SS Disability. My 40 year old son lives with me and helps me survive in a cheap apartment. I gave my old car to him, since my back problems worsen if I use the CLUTCH - so I cannot Drive.

Amazing how the people that really need help CANNOT GET IT - yet every drug addict I ran across 7 or 8 years ago (they knew my X and that is why he is my X) and I had spoken to, has some sort of GOVERNMENT CHECK they get by going to a clinic - qualifying for disability and they are MILKING THE SYSTEM for over $1000.00 a month plus food stamps. JUST AMAZING...

I gave up on SSD. I am turning 65 in a month and I will be applying for SSI.
I took my SS early at 62 just to be able to by my personal items that my son doesn't want to buy or can't buy. He too is stretched financially because of me.

My question is... :confused:how do they determine how much you can get per month for SSI? I get $352.00 a month for my Social Security.

Every little bit helps.

I am so embarrassed to be so cripple at my age.:(

Thanks for listening... aalienlady

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)FLORIDA

Last edited:

csi7

You can send your case file to be reviewed by a congressional officer staff member, to find out exactly what is missing from your social security information packet.
That is your starting point.

BL

When you applied and were denied , did you have an attorney ?

Did you have an attorney at any point and during appeals processes ?

If not ,why not ?

SSI attorney are out there that will have a free consult with you .If they think you have a chance at being approved they will take on your case on a contingency basis ( meaning about 25 % of retroactive benefits ) .

Onderzoek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Ok - so I really have not been able to work since 1999.

I have had injuries from several Auto Accidents and several Serious Slip and Falls.
I can't sit for any length of time - I cannot stand for even 5 minutes in one place, I can't walk any distance... shopping is a killer.

With all my back problems (Herniated Disks and Bulging Disks and Osteo-arthritis and other disk degenerative disease and so forth... I do not qualify for SS Disability. My 40 year old son lives with me and helps me survive in a cheap apartment. I gave my old car to him, since my back problems worsen if I use the CLUTCH - so I cannot Drive.

Amazing how the people that really need help CANNOT GET IT - yet every drug addict I ran across 7 or 8 years ago (they knew my X and that is why he is my X) and I had spoken to, has some sort of GOVERNMENT CHECK they get by going to a clinic - qualifying for disability and they are MILKING THE SYSTEM for over $1000.00 a month plus food stamps. JUST AMAZING...

I gave up on SSD. I am turning 65 in a month and I will be applying for SSI.
I took my SS early at 62 just to be able to by my personal items that my son doesn't want to buy or can't buy. He too is stretched financially because of me.

My question is... :confused:how do they determine how much you can get per month for SSI? I get $352.00 a month for my Social Security.

Every little bit helps.

I am so embarrassed to be so cripple at my age.:(

Thanks for listening... aalienlady

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)FLORIDA
There is a federal benefit of $674 for SSI recipients. I do not know if Florida has a state supp. Some states supplement all SSI recipients; some only supplement the over age 65 recipients. Some states have zero state supps.

Your income from Social Security is countable income. You may also have in-kind income from the free food and shelter you receive in your son's house. That has a presumed maximum value of 1/3 the federal benefit rate plus $20 which is $244.66. So your countable income might be $352 + $244.66 - $20 (general exclusion) = $576.66. $674-$576.66 would be $97.34 which could be the SSI check, federal only.

The amount of SSI might be different or may change if or when you begin paying your share of food and shelter expenses in your son's home.

aalienlady

Thank You All.

I have a telephone Interview scheduled for tomorrow morning.

A Question on the breakdown about being in "my son's house."
I do not live in my sons house. He does not have a house. He lives with me and the Lease for my apartment is in my name. The electric and the water is also in my name.

He moved into my apartment to save me from losing everything.

Does that change things since I am responsible for my living expenses?

There are so many variables here... I suppose - who can tell.

Oh - BTW - I did not have a Lawyer and I was going through too much Pain and "In Clinic and Hospital Procedures" and Operations on my back to GO THROUGH trying to find an attorney and do the "Dial a Ride" for transportation (waiting 1 hour and MORE both ways) for the ride... my back just would not "TAKE IT."

Well Thanks for the responses. I wish I could have received a notification that you guys had answered this. I only came back to check it on my own.

Again - Thanks to you all! alienlady

Onderzoek

So you are living in your own home. Are you paying all the rent, electricity, water, sewer, garbage, gas, heating oil and food bills from your retirement Social Security? OR does you son pay some or all? If you are paying all (not just responsible, but actually paying ) then you don't have in-kind income. If your share and your son is paying his share (based on numbers) you don't have in-kind income. If your son is paying more than his share and you are paying less, then you do have in-kind income.

The claims rep will sort this out in your interview. Just answer honestly. If you later pay more, you need to report it.

jasonhorn999

There is a federal benefit of $674 for SSI recipients.
I do not know if Florida has a state supp.
Some states supplement all SSI recipients; some only supplement the over age 65 recipients.
Some states have zero state supps.
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/policy/docs/progdesc/ssi_st_asst/2010

Just wanted to let you know that someone linked me to the page that lists ALL Ssa supplements by state. Most states in the Northeast (RI & Mass confirmed) have supplements. California does too. Tennessee, Kentucky and Florida do not (I confirmed myself). I think Alabama, Miss, and GA do not too (but I'm not sure, just guessing).

Good luck to the original poster! Don't be nice about things, call your Congressperson and get results. You deserve it!

Last edited:

commentator

No, Florida is definitely one of the non-supplementing states for SSI. Go, Southeast region, third world states all!

It's a little bit aggrivating for me to hear this person who has obviously not followed through on anything related to their SSDI denial, who has excuses out the yin-yang for why there has been no follow through after the denial or any real effort to get this situation resolved, has been too sick to get even a no fee consultation with an attorney, really is only applying for SSI for the first time just now, and yet here she is complaining about how others, (whose exact economic situation she cannot know any more than they understand hers) get benefits they should take away from them and give to her, I guess.

Most people don't get approved for SSDI immediately, have a long and drawn out appeal process before they get approved, unless their situation is very dramatic.

But yes, OP, just answer the questions frankly and honestly when they ask about your living situation and who pays for what in the household. That's all you can do in this situation.

I am not at all sure that a call to her congressperson will help anything. Exactly how could they do anything except tell her to apply for SSI, which she is in the process of doing, and perhaps to appeal her Social Security Disability claim, which it appears she is not going to do at this time?

They can't change the eligibility requirements to accomodate her, and she's not suffering from a lack of state or federal services. She just didn't qualify for something she believed she should have qualified for, and now she's trying to qualify for something else. They can't suddenly inact a state supplement for her SSI, or change the decision of the disability system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">