• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

appylon

What is the name of your state? NM

My wife and i are disabled and are both short credits to receive SS ,how do we make up the difference from 31 credits to 40 if we can't work ?
I do receive a va disabilty penision.

seniorjudge

Also, if you do not have enough credits to get Social Security disability benefits based on your own earnings, you may be able to get benefits based on the earnings of one of your parents or your spouse.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10052.html

You really need to go talk to your local SS office.

(True funny story: At a government agency where I worked one time long ago in a different universe, the top bureaucrats decided to send some of us flunkies to Albuquerque for a seminar. One of the flunkies was so excited, she ran right down to the passport office! :D)

appylon

Albuquerque is a fine place to be driving through on your way elsewhere.
I have talked to ss about this thy told me that we must work to get the credits
and i couldn't just pay into our account they gave no other salutation.

seagoing

You cant get around it.40 is max.required and 20 needed to be earned in last 10 yrs,if you can possibly get back in the workforce to earn your last 9 do it,because if you wait too long after the 10 yrs the amt needed will get larger,

You cant get around it.40 is max.required and 20 needed to be earned in last 10 yrs,if you can possibly get back in the workforce to earn your last 9 do it,because if you wait too long after the 10 yrs the amt needed will get larger,
if this person is able to "get back in the workforce", they are not disabled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">