+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: social security

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    social security

    What is the name of your state? sc

    what to do if spouse is the representative payee
    Social Security Disability benefits for husband and she devorces him

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    In the good old US of A
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster406 View Post
    What is the name of your state? sc

    what to do if spouse is the representative payee
    Social Security Disability benefits for husband and she devorces him
    The benificiary can contact the Local SSA Office , or the 800 number , and request a different payee .

    Who Will Be My Representative Payee?
    We try to select someone who knows you and wants to help you. Our main concern is that our payee is someone who can see you often and who knows what your needs are. For that reason, if you are living with someone who helps you, we usually select that person to be your payee. In most cases, someone who knows you asks us if he/she can be your payee. It may be a family member, a friend, a legal guardian or a lawyer. Sometimes, however, social service agencies, nursing homes or other organizations offer to serve as payees. If there is someone you would like to have as your payee, you can tell a Social Security representative and we will consider your request.

    What If I Disagree With SSA's Decisions?
    You have the right to appeal either the decision that you need a representative payee, or the person or organization SSA has chosen as your representative payee. You have 60 days to appeal a decision by contacting SSA. Please contact your local Social Security office or call us at 1-800-772-1213 for more information.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    The Heart o' Dixie
    Then you get the representative payee changed.
    "Changes to report

    You need to tell Social Security about any changes that may affect benefit payments. As payee, you are responsible for repaying money you received on behalf of the beneficiary if any of the events listed below occur and you do not report them. For example, tell us if:

    * The beneficiary moves;
    * The beneficiary starts or stops working, no matter how little the amount of earnings;
    * A disabled beneficiary’s medical condition improves;
    * The beneficiary starts receiving another government benefit, or the amount of the benefit changes;
    * The beneficiary will be outside the United States for 30 days or more;
    * The beneficiary is imprisoned for a crime that carries a sentence of more than one month;
    * The beneficiary is committed to an institution by court order for a crime committed because of a mental impairment;
    * Custody of a child beneficiary changes or a child is adopted;
    * The beneficiary is a stepchild, and the parents divorce;
    * The beneficiary gets married;
    * The beneficiary no longer needs a payee; or
    * The beneficiary dies.

    You must also tell us if:

    * You are no longer responsible for the beneficiary;
    * You move;
    * You no longer wish to be payee;
    * You are convicted of a felony; or
    * You are violating a condition of your probation or parole imposed under federal or state law.

    If you stop being a payee

    If you will no longer be the payee, you must notify Social Security immediately. This is important because a new payee will have to be selected as soon as possible. When you are no longer responsible for the beneficiary, you must return any benefits, including interest and cash on hand, to Social Security. The funds will then be reissued to the beneficiary or to a new payee. "


+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Social Security Quarter of Coverage (Social Security Credit)
    By zerocool0120 in forum Social Security Disability / SSI Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-2010, 08:03 AM
  2. Social Security?
    By appylon in forum Social Security Disability / SSI Law
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 03:34 PM
  3. social security?
    By Michael B in forum Immigration
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2002, 11:11 AM
  4. employees giving a campus security guard my full name AND social security number
    By swisstrips in forum Job Discrimination and Harassment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2002, 01:05 AM
  5. Social Security? or Social Mugging!
    By Scientist in forum Marriage, Domestic Partnerships and Other Family Law Matters
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2001, 05:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.