• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security Benefits - Expired Green Card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Caravan

Question – I am turning 65 in a month and would like to start collecting my social security monthly benefit payments. They are not very much, around $850 or $900 a month, but I figured I might as well collect them. I have received regular statements from social security every year or so confirming my eligibility.

My question arises not because I doubt my eligibility, but because I worked in the US as a legal resident (green card) and unfortunately I let my green card expire almost two years as I have been spending 6-9 months living abroad. So I was wondering how, if at all, will this impact my ability to collect social security benefit payments. My understanding is that while I am still eligible, that the social security office will object to my expired green card and thus implement some sort of withholding (15-20%) from my monthly benefit payments.

I would appreciate if someone could comment on what I should expect when going to the social security office and filing for benefits with an expired resident card. Thank you.

LdiJ

Question – I am turning 65 in a month and would like to start collecting my social security monthly benefit payments. They are not very much, around $850 or $900 a month, but I figured I might as well collect them. I have received regular statements from social security every year or so confirming my eligibility.

My question arises not because I doubt my eligibility, but because I worked in the US as a legal resident (green card) and unfortunately I let my green card expire almost two years as I have been spending 6-9 months living abroad. So I was wondering how, if at all, will this impact my ability to collect social security benefit payments. My understanding is that while I am still eligible, that the social security office will object to my expired green card and thus implement some sort of withholding (15-20%) from my monthly benefit payments.

I would appreciate if someone could comment on what I should expect when going to the social security office and filing for benefits with an expired resident card. Thank you.
Why don't you just renew your green card? Wouldn't that solve the whole problem?

FlyingRon

Why don't you just renew your green card? Wouldn't that solve the whole problem?
If he doesn't intend to live here, it would be ILLEGAL for him to do so. A green card is for those intending to permanently reside in the US, not as a convenience for transient visitors.

At this point "renewal" is likely not an option. He's already been determined to have abandoned US residency and would have to start over.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

What did the folks at the Social Security office say when you asked them about this matter?

LdiJ

If he doesn't intend to live here, it would be ILLEGAL for him to do so. A green card is for those intending to permanently reside in the US, not as a convenience for transient visitors.

At this point "renewal" is likely not an option. He's already been determined to have abandoned US residency and would have to start over.
Where do you get that there was any official determination that he abandoned his green card? I agree that he said that he has been spending about 6-9 months living abroad, but I see now where were it states that he was officially determined as having abandoned his green card. Just because it expired doesn't mean that he isn't still a legal resident. It just means that the card itself is expired.

FlyingRon

He's been living aborad for two years and has not done anything that is required to maintain residency status. No reentry permit, no coming back within six months, nothing.
He's been using tourist visas for his infrequent visits.

He is not now maintaining US residence nor does he intend to. Suggesting that he commit immigration fraud is bad advice and yes frankly, he lost his ability to just "renew" the card at least a year ago if it's been expired two years and he's been gone that long.

LdiJ

He's been living aborad for two years and has not done anything that is required to maintain residency status. No reentry permit, no coming back within six months, nothing.
He's been using tourist visas for his infrequent visits.

He is not now maintaining US residence nor does he intend to. Suggesting that he commit immigration fraud is bad advice and yes frankly, he lost his ability to just "renew" the card at least a year ago if it's been expired two years and he's been gone that long.
Where is all this coming from Ron? Because none of the "facts" you are stating appear in the thread.

AdoptADog

Where is all this coming from Ron? Because none of the "facts" you are stating appear in the thread.
Down the street the OP stated s/he is coming to the US from France on a tourist visa since the card expired in order to visit family and friends.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">