• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social security death benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

donnamil54

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

My husband died two years ago. He and I are have guardianship of a child who is now 16 years old. We have had custody and guardianship of her since she was two years old. Dependent social security benefits were denied for her based on relationship or lack thereof to my husband. We know her biological mother and maternal grandparents. The child took our last name when she was 6 years old and her mother agreed to this. Is there anyway the decision of benefits for her can be reversed?

BL

Since the child was not adopted by you and your husband , I believe there is no legal relationship to your deceased husband .

nextwife

The bioparents should be paying child support. Neither of you were the legal parents, regardless of what name the child used. It is the responsibility of the child's bioparents to support this child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">