• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security Disability and Alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scew4sure

What is the name of your state? Mississippi
I would like to know the percentage of my Disability check a judge can take for alimony in Mississippi. Yes I said alimony. My ex wife make more money than I do, but I have been court ordered to pay alimony. If I let them take it from my disability, what percentage can be taken.

Krackir

VA law says u dont pay anything

this is from Military.com so its kinda a relable to source to go off of. hope it helps :eek:

http://forums.military.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/331196512/m/97700887613

"It is Federal Law that VA Disability can not be claimed attached for Alimony, Child Support, bad debts, etc..Your Ex spouse can not touch it. I was going through a Divorce and was told that no way, no how can they touch my Disability."

"I am a 100% disabled vet and my ex tried for it. She did not get anything even tho the judge awarded her part of it in maryland. I lived in ky. The va told her that it was not legal so I have never paid anything."

Krackir

VA law says u dont pay anything

O I'm sorry there is a difference between SSBenefits and SSCompensation. I didnt look close enough, does ur disabilty check come from being in the military?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">