• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social security disability help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA
my brother lives in florida ( i live in ga) and was involved in an auto accident in august. he's already had a couple of surgeries and will need several more in the future. he has been a stay at home father for the last year or two,( he has a 10 month old) and hasen't worked for about 12 years prior to that. (and paid into the ss system) he did have a union job prior to the 12 year period and has been homeless on several occassions during this 12 year period. he's now 53 years old, been looking for a job for about a year,and unable to find work. when the accident happened, it rendered him totally disabled. my question is ...will he be able to get social security disability?
thanking you in advance for your help.

Onderzoek

He should file a claim and get an official answer and you should not rely on this advice. However, if he doesn't have 5 years of work in the 10 year period before onset of disability, he will not qualify for Social Security Disability. There is a second program administered by the Social Security Administration called Supplemental Security Income which is a low income program that he could also apply for. His wife's income matters in determining his eligiblity. He will have to apply for the union pension that may be available to him. SSI has many restrictions, but can provide some income and Medicaid if he qualifies. Nothing to lose by filing. Lots to lose by not filing.

He can start online at socialsecurity.gov and finish up in the local office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">