• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security, Immigration, and Identity Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

epiphany-

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey is my residency, Boston is place of theft

Hello,

My fiancee in the past was a victim of identity theft. Basically, long story short, She came as an international student here for her masters in Boston, received a social security number, and later on had that social security number stolen alongside her credit cards by her roommate. She is handling things on this side with equifax, and will be filing a police report in person when we arrive to the states together in December. Her social security card and other intellectual property is still in the proximity of her roommate who stole her information, since he still with takes residency at the same address.

Now we will be getting married soon, and starting the process for her in immigrating to the states. She will be changing her legal first name and last name, applying for green card and residency, and since she was a victim of identity theft, we were wondering if it were possible for her in applying for a new social security number, so she could build a new line of credit which was untainted by the identity theft which she suffered to. We're talking about 30,000$ worth of theft and a series of 5 or 6 cards being opened under her name.

Now for the sake of her immigration process, should she apply for a new SSN and leave alone the old one by not reporting it, I mean ideally I would like her to be able to get a new social, build a new line of credit, without having to worry about her past identity theft from the time she was an international student.

Can someone please assess this in the most logical/rational manner for me, because she is a bit worried/confused. Ideally I would like to continue filing the police report against her old social being used for identity theft purposes, and apply for a new one meanwhile.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey is my residency, Boston is place of theft

Hello,

My fiancee in the past was a victim of identity theft. Basically, long story short, She came as an international student here for her masters in Boston, received a social security number, and later on had that social security number stolen alongside her credit cards by her roommate. She is handling things on this side with equifax, and will be filing a police report in person when we arrive to the states together in December. Her social security card and other intellectual property is still in the proximity of her roommate who stole her information, since he still with takes residency at the same address.

Now we will be getting married soon, and starting the process for her in immigrating to the states. She will be changing her legal first name and last name, applying for green card and residency, and since she was a victim of identity theft, we were wondering if it were possible for her in applying for a new social security number, so she could build a new line of credit which was untainted by the identity theft which she suffered to. We're talking about 30,000$ worth of theft and a series of 5 or 6 cards being opened under her name.

Now for the sake of her immigration process, should she apply for a new SSN and leave alone the old one by not reporting it, I mean ideally I would like her to be able to get a new social, build a new line of credit, without having to worry about her past identity theft from the time she was an international student.

Can someone please assess this in the most logical/rational manner for me, because she is a bit worried/confused. Ideally I would like to continue filing the police report against her old social being used for identity theft purposes, and apply for a new one meanwhile.

Under what visa did she acquire a social security number?

How long have you know her?

OHRoadwarrior

Hope this helps...:)

If you have done all you can to fix the problems resulting from misuse of your Social Security number and someone still is using your number, we may assign you a new number.
You cannot get a new Social Security number:

To avoid the consequences of filing for bankruptcy;
If you intend to avoid the law or your legal responsibility; or
If your Social Security card is lost or stolen, but there is no evidence that someone is using your number.

If you decide to apply for a new number, you will need to prove your age, U.S. citizenship or lawful immigration status and identity. For more information, ask for Your Social Security Number And Card (Publication Number 05-10002). You also will need to provide evidence you are having ongoing problems because of the misuse.
http://ssa.gov/pubs/10064.html#a0=5

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">