• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security Quarter of Coverage (Social Security Credit)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zerocool0120

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi all,

To briefly explain the situation, I need to prove that
my spouse and I have 40 quarters of coverage (social security credit)
combined together.
This is not for social security benefit but for my personal matter.
Up to 2009, I have 34 quarters and my spouse has 4, totaling 38 quarters.
(my spouse began filling tax last year).
My situation gets a little complicated from here.
We own a small company (it's a corporation).
But also at the same time, both my spouse and I are employees of the company instead of being self-employed.
In April 2010, our company filed the quarterly federal tax return for a period from January to March 2010.
Wages are paid out to employees (me and my spouse) and taxes are paid out accordingly as well.
The wages were well over $1120 so it means that each one of us earned 1 credit for this quarter, totaling 2 credits.

I think those quarters of coverage (1 for myself and 1 for my spouse) that we earned from January to March are "guaranteed"
because we are not self employed and tax return for this period is already submitted.
Thus, future income of our company should not affect credits that we already earned
(even if the company has loss in the future and receive tax returns, it does not have anything to with our personal matter
because the company is separated legal entity and the wages/taxes are all paid out).

Although I am not exactly sure, I heard that social security office does not update 2010 quarter of coverage until 2011.
But I am working with a limited time and I must prove that my spouse and I have 40 quarters combined together before October.
In order to do that, I need to request the "Certified Earning Statement."
My question is will the SSA put those 2 credits on our certified earning statement?
If not, do I have any arguments? (I have copies of quarterly tax report, tax payment receipt, and pay stub
to support my claim).

Thank you for your time reading my question and any input would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

Doesn't matter if you are employees or self employed as long as you're paying your FICA or SE tax as appropriate (and you make more than the trivial minimum).

The quarterly filings mean nothing to you as far as this your coverage. The computation is annualized. If you work for 9 months and you make $3360 or more for those 9 months you will get 3 quarters of credit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">